Honeymoon period?

Maggieshauna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed 12 days ago when sent to hospital with BG 24.5 and ketones at 8...I am now on Lantus 10 units and Humalog 3 units 3 times a day before meals. This has gradually brought my BG down to between 7 and 15 range in the last few days. My BG always getting higher as the day goes on. The last two days I've felt very shaky midday also sweating...is this the start of the honeymoon period?
Altogether since 4 days of starting on insulin I have felt really well and have stopped making ketones.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What is your BG when you're feeling shaky? It could well be false hypos as your body adjusts to lower BG.

Maggieshauna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks Natalie1974 It's been 7.4 and today 7.2....so is that just because it's low for me as I've been so high?

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Natalie1974 It's been 7.4 and today 7.2....so is that just because it's low for me as I've been so high?
That would sound like it to me. For a Type 1 those are not bad levels and you should not be experiencing "hypo" symptoms at those levels. However your body is able to adapt to different levels over a period of time so as yours have probably been very high for a long time your body thinks it is too low. As your levels got more normalised these feelings will stop and should not happen until they get to about 4ish.

The Honeymoon period is something that some diabetics get for anything up to a year or so after diagnosis. Basically your pancreas will continue to function a bit erratically which can lead to random high, or more often, low blood sugars. It will decide it can work again and start producing insulin without you realising and you then unwittingly inject more insulin leading to a hypo. It doesn't happen to everyone and it will always stop. Let us know how you are getting on.

zacthedog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injections,
I T2, diagnosed 31/12/15, and i have had some serious shaking, mainly at the weekends, but at other times also, put it down to my body getting used to the lower sugar intake and weekends was a break from my usual.daily routines, these are now subsiding but still get it now and again.
Would say its your body adjusting but if worried or it gets worse speek to your doctor or nurse, your body is going through some major chemical changes and will take time to adjust.
I am now suffering from serious wind, but i am hoping thats down to the healthy eating i am doing now.