Honeymooning?

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I have decreased my lantus night does by 3 clicks over this week (to 16), upped my icr to 1:20 and having a hard time staying up.
We saw this with my daughter and resulted in her collapsing and ending up in hospital. Told about honeymooning. Guess this is what’s happening to me.
I’m due to fly to China Saturday for 2 weeks.. feeling a bit anxious.
Should I drop my lantus by a few more clicks and/or up my ratio a bit more whilst this is happening.
Heh.. maybe I’m cured and this has all gone away and I don’t need insulin..;)
IMG_6464.jpg

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At a very basic level because there are many things that cause changed in blood glucose levels you need to figure out if it's your basal or bolus sending you low. So, if for example, you're consistently going low after eating within 5 hours of your bolus it's possibly that dose that caused it.

What is happening at times you're not eating? You should be able to see with the Libre if you're being held steady or slowly dropping when there is no bolus in your system. Also, is exercise a factor (even if it was earlier in the day)?

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When were you diagnosed? Honeymooning generally happens in the first few months, or if you're lucky (?) years. Better safe than sorry, especially if you're travelling, so reducing your basal further may be a wise idea. If you notice that this happens around mealtimes, on the other hand, then perhaps reducing your bolus would be more effective, as this would indicate your mealtime doses are too high. Also, as a general safety concern, make sure you do finger pricks to confirm when you are low!

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah fingerpricks are pretty close to scans. Was diagnosed at xmas.
Things were kinda good, I was on 19 lantus and a 1:10 icr.
Will do the reductions whilst travelling. Hope this sorts itself out.

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So woke up ok, then dropped. Had a yogurt, toast and a oat breakfast bar. No insulin (fiasp) and cruising at 6.
Is this odd?
IMG_6467.jpg

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome aboard. I've been diagnosed 5 years now and still find my blood sugars and insulin dosage to be moving targets. I'm not sure whether the pancreas kicks in every now and then or other changes affect insulin sensitivity.

There are so many variables that seem to affect it. In the last 12 months, my Lantus use has gone from 8 units to 18 and currently sits at 11, which I suspect will require reducing further. I'm currently using no Novorapid through the day in spite of eating around 40 g of carbs for breakfast and lunch and a severely reduced dose for the evening meal.

The main advise I would give you is to allow any changes, especially with your long acting insulin a chance to take effect. I change a unit at a time and allow 3 days to see the overall effect before making another change. Otherwise you can end up chasing peaks and troughs using quick acting to make things right.

If you are worried about going low overnight, take a carby snack before bed ad have a look at the effect in the morning when you wake. I see from the graph that you have some form of CGM which will allow you to see what's happening overnight.

Hope this helps.

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply.. it does help. Glad to know it’s something that does happen and I’m not misdiagnosed.
We did drink prosecco last night too.. so maybe the alcohol has something to do with it. Dropping low now too.. gonna be a weird day.
IMG_6468.jpg

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So my last long acting (lantus) was Friday at 7pm. I have had no fast acting in the last day either...

Am I even diabetic! Lol
IMG_1520174206.209249.jpg

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another day.. no insulin whatsoever!
Breakfast and lunch spikes normalised by my body?

Surely this can’t be right?
IMG_1520240328.869528.jpg