urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
In the information pack that I got from the NHS when I was diagnosed a few weeks back, reference is made to the 'honeymoon period' without really explaining any detail. I've also seen a couple of posters refer to it in these hallowed pages.

Can any of you more experienced insulin users enlighten me further as to what it actually is, roughly how long does it usually last and what happens when it's over?

brontebailey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
im newly diagnosed 2 weeks and i would like to know too you wre lucky to get an information pack i got nothing only insulin and needles and blood tester x

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
im newly diagnosed 2 weeks and i would like to know too you wre lucky to get an information pack i got nothing only insulin and needles and blood tester x
As I had a bit nmore time I used the search function to look up honeymoon and there are some quite good posts from in older threads.

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
The honeymoon period is the time when your pancreas stills puts some insulin into your system. It is bought about when you start injecting, it seems to give your pancreas a bit of a break and for some reason it then starts to make insulin a little again!!!
It will mean it is a bit easier to get your bs readings in check during this period so make the most of it!!
I am still in honeymoon myself I think, although my BS are creeping upwards so think it's coming to an end!!

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The honeymoon period is the time when your pancreas stills puts some insulin into your system. It is bought about when you start injecting, it seems to give your pancreas a bit of a break and for some reason it then starts to make insulin a little again!!!
It will mean it is a bit easier to get your bs readings in check during this period so make the most of it!!
I am still in honeymoon myself I think, although my BS are creeping upwards so think it's coming to an end!!
Thanks Type1Bri, I was diagnosed about 2 months ago at the beginning of October, if anything my BG readings are actually going down at the moment and I've had to reduce my insulin.

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
I was diagnosed on 10th Sept. My bs was going low a lot and have reduced my basal down to 5 units before bed. Am having 1 unit to 25g carbs atm. Although this past week bs having been creeping up so will be upping my basal to six soon

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed on 10th Sept. My bs was going low a lot and have reduced my basal down to 5 units before bed. Am having 1 unit to 25g carbs atm. Although this past week bs having been creeping up so will be upping my basal to six soon
Hello
I'm in the same boat. I'm currently on 1:25 but that's not seeming to be enough in the evenings anymore.

I was diagnosed in June and think my honeymoon is coming to an end.

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Hi emmotha
Good to know somebody else is on a similar time line :) roughly how many carbs a day are you eating?

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've tried to cut right back. If I can get through breakfast / lunch with no carbs or less than about 8 carbs I don't need to bolus, for dinner I tend to have about 30

Have you got a half unit pen?

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Wow that's really low carb, you are doing well there
I got a half unit pen from my dsn so happy with that
I am average 90g a day on a good day at the moment
You must be taking almost zero bolus at your levels, well done on that

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally I have found my honeymoon has made it harder to get BG levels in control, because it's not slowing gradually but stop/starting. It can last for years apparently so just trying to keep up as best I can!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Exercise will also help prolong the honeymoon.

I'm not sure why, but I can speculate that you are using other glucose transport mechanisms and using fats as fule as well, so perhaps giving the pancreas a bit of a break. 18months in I think I'm still in the honeymoon period as well with quite low basal and bolus needs.