Hoping to move to Spain in September need advice

cyrryan

i am diabetic type 1 and hope to move to Spain in September 2015. I do not know anything about the healthcare system in Spain. I have a European health card but I don't know if this will cover me for medicines etc.. As the first language in Spain is Spainish I am fearful that doctors would not understand english so well. There are other issues relating to the sun and skin conditions over there.
Hope someone can advice me before I go?

C

catherinecherub

If you don't get any replies @cyrryan, you could PM @connie104. She has recently returned from Spain after living there for a while. She is a Type2 but will be able to help with the basics about the healthcare there.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a friend who's lived in Northern Spain now for 15 years. She said if you are working there, you need to apply for one of their Social Security numbers and get a card. This entitles you to all the same healthcare that the locals get. Then you register at your local GPs (you must have the SS number to prove you're paying taxes), and you will get free GP advice etc. However, my friend told me that each area/province in Spain has different methods and levels of healthcare, as it is run and supplied for by the mayor of the province. So, if you live in an area that spends a lot of the taxes on their healthcare, then you can end up getting some of your medication paid for by the government. She said she gets all her prescriptions for free, except one for her eyes because her GP deemed it unnecessary for ordinary health or something...

Anyway, that's all I know from my friend. If you work, make your company get you a social security card/number (they must supply you with one as you'll be paying taxes! No number, no taxes, illegal). Register at your GPs, there are always a doctor that speaks English, so be sure to register with an English speaking GP! Then have them arrange everything for you, prescriptions etc. You may have to pay for them, you may not. Depends on the province!

Reactions: 2 people