Horrendous Headaches Upon Waking

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Heya gang!

For the last week or so, every time I've woken up in the morning, it's been with an epic headache. Not just a headache, but aching eyes, sore neck, any kind of movement makes me feel sick, I'm stiff, I'm tearful. In short, though I've not been drinking the night before (and don't get them anyway), it feels, every morning, like I'm waking up with the World's Worst Hangover. A couple of paracetamol and 45 minutes lying quietly with the covers over my head clears it, but it's still miserable.

Here's my numbers:

Started (resumed?) LCHF Tuesday last week (this is Day 8), dropped into Keto on Friday (urine dip-test, keto probably expedited by Jardiance, aka "GlucoPee"). Weight loss and appetite suppression already noted, and "keto breath" phase (thankfully) over. FBG dropped a little from 6.5 to 5.7 last couple of days, and have not gone mad-low super-suddenly on the carbs (yet) - maintaining a very easy to stick to 100-ish g/day (compared to what I was eating 2 weeks ago, it's still a huge drop).

Since the headaches have started, have mindfully increased the amount of water I drink, from 3-4 litres a day (pre-LCHF) to 6-7. Am sure to drink at least half a litre before I go to sleep, and to eat something a little bit salty. I tend to sleep just 4 or 5 hours in a stretch, so it's not a "sleep hangover", and am not struggling to get to or stay asleep. Otherwise, am fine during the day, getting out and about, cheerful and able to carry on as normal - it's just that first hour of the day which really, really tests me.

Was hoping that, as the other Keto Flu symptoms subsided (feeling generally pretty good now, no cravings, no muffled thinking; feeling alert, confident and optimistic) the headache would go with them but, actually, the morning headaches are intensifying.

I've read through advice I've (perhaps a little glibly) given to others: increase water, increase salt, did I drop carbs too far too suddenly, but don't think it's any of these. I'm aware I'm just over a week into this renewed effort, but my body seems to remember what to do and, if anything, has made the switch and ditched carbs surprisingly quickly.

I'm all out of ideas. I know there are several keto members who might have some advice or ideas for me to try and, of course, All Ye Merry Low-Carbers (should be an Xmas carol) might have some tips to share, too.

In short, help! It's getting to the point where I worry about waking up when I go to sleep, and that's not a good thing.

Cheers,

Sock x

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would still say salt .. if you are drinking more water then you are flushing out even more. Home cooking has less in it than processed foods. I put it in my creamy coffee (yes I am that weird).

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OH, DUH.

Of course if I eat a little salty whatever and then wash that down before I sleep with a litre of water... I'm still going to be low on salt.

And, actually, I was just reading about drink made from an oxo cube, some single cream and a medium cafetiere of freshly-pressed coffee. So not that weird!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Could be the salt. How about vitB 12, magnesium maybe? Sorry, lass I am not being much help. If it lasts another week I would suggest you see your GP.

Oh, have you been keeping up with your eye tests?

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am due an eye test, that's true (retinopathy screening was clear, though). I'm back at the doc's Friday (the oh-so-fun Woman In Her 40's Contraception chat - Ell Oh Ell) so might mention it then.

I know cereals are fortified with B12 (but I never really ate cereal), but where can I find that in the LCHF roster of foods?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Sorry, I have no idea. Some people take a supplent because Metformin can, in long term use, cause malabsorption of B12. Worth looking into if you are using Met. Good luck at the doctors, don't get pregnant on the way ;):)

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No met - and no babies! (Just a very good looking Viking guy. Will (eventually) provide pictures on blog)

Will otherwise google the B12 thing. I should imagine it's going to be one of those leafy green things vitamins!

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Delighted to report that I woke up this morning completely headache free!

Last night, I drank my water in slower gulps and, just before lying down, drank an Oxo Cube tea before drifting off. I woke up horrendously thirsty, but without any of the awful headache that's been marking my mornings for the last week.

Looks like it was salt, after all. Thanks <3