Horrid 24 hours of High

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey there wanting some advice i had a horrid 24 hours of highs i just couldnt control.

i dont actively low carb anymore but keep carbs relatively low.

i woke up at 17 which isnt unusual due to suffering the dawn phenomenon.

I Started with a normal breakfast about 40 carbs with my normal 1.5-1 ratio plus a 4 correction.

2 hours later i checked and i was still 18 so i took another 3 units.

at lunch a few hours after that i checked and i was 11, not great but down a little. i ate a 30 carb lunch took my 1.5-1 ratio plus a 2 correction dose.

at dinner i was 13 which was much higer than i had expected i had steak and sweat potato frys about 30 carbs worth. i took again a normal 1.5-1 and a 3 correction.

i was driving an hour later so i checked again and was 20! I didnt want to over react as it was so close to my last dose so i took 2 units and waited checking 2 hours later i was 22 at this point i was feeling pretty ill and took a further 4 units, 2 hours after this i checked again and was still 20 so i took another 3 units, another 2 hours go by and i check i was sitting at 18, it was as if i ate a huge meal and was still slowly releasing sugar.
i took another 4 units hoping to be done with it as it was getting late and i was tired 2 hours later i was sitting at 14 and we were in the am of the next day not wanting to go low in my sleep with all the combined doeses i decided not to correct again (this is the most insulin ive taken in years) i woke up the next morning with that horrid hang over feeling you get when you have been high for a while and started drinking as much water as i could, i was 20 upon waking up, i decided eat a no carb breakfast and try and correct this taking 5 units of insulin, 2 hours later i checked again and was sitting at 14 i corrected a further 3 units and by lunch i was at 7.0, since then its not been as bad but im still correcting more than i normally do. i dont feel like im getting sick and never have had a reaction like this any ideas?

Edit: also forgot to mention when i woke up my little finger and one next to it were numb and that slowly got better as the day went on, im not sure if its related or not, i used to get this when i was a teenager and drank to much but i rarely drink now and when i do its only a couple of glasses of whiskey

Last edited by a moderator:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Have you changed your insulin cartridges? Sounds like your basal may have expired and maybe your fast acting too...

iHs

I've learnt from using a pump that when bg is over 9mmol, it's a big mistake to eat any carb over 20g and do bolus and correction thinking that bg will fall back to my target. I try to wait about 1.5hrs for the correction to kick in first and then bolus for food. That way, bg levels behave a bit better. Basal bolus is the same as pumps in that respect that's why pumpers over correct initially and then reduce the carb bolus according to bg levels dropping

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you changed your insulin cartridges? Sounds like your basal may have expired and maybe your fast acting too...
no changed inuslin all in date, using the same carts still as i was that day and its working, though i think the sights on my legs arnt the best (were u inject my levmir Split dose) i dont know were else to put it though

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
no changed inuslin all in date, using the same carts still as i was that day and its working, though i think the sights on my legs arnt the best (were u inject my levmir Split dose) i dont know were else to put it though

Bum, on injections my basal went in my legs or bum and boluses in my stomach or arms.

Just one thing @itconor, when bg levels are high some of us find we become more insulin resistant and need more insulin to bring our levels back down, say for example 1u would normally bring your bg levels down by 3mmol/l it may only bring you down by 1.5mmol/l when bg levels are into double figures.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just one thing @itconor, when bg levels are high some of us find we become more insulin resistant and need more insulin to bring our levels back down, say for example 1u would normally bring your bg levels down by 3mmol/l it may only bring you down by 1.5mmol/l when bg levels are into double figures.
This is definitely the case for me, my correction doses increase a lot when I'm high.

Reactions: 2 people

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bum, on injections my basal went in my legs or bum and boluses in my stomach or arms.

This would certainly explain why it took so much to bring me down.

Glad to report running good today, lunch 2 hours ago bloods 5.4 currently :) pretty happy with that

Reactions: 4 people

caarlyx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find I need to twist my whole body when injecting into my bum. What is the best technique? :rolleyes:

I'm on the pump and have found quite difficulty in getting my site set up properly there, but it just takes time to get used to the twisting and stabbing that works for you. Once I had blood rush back through the tubing because I put it in an awkward spot and must have nicked myself taking the injection out. I usually rotate between my stomach and bum, although was told am developing some slight signs of lypohypertrophy in my stomach and should move to my legs! (Haven't had an injection in my legs since I was on syringes when I was a kid!)