Hospital battles

mooshk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fataphobia, Ableism, Sexism, Racism, Patriarchy. Most right wing fools.
Hi all, this is my first pregnancy & very excited/nervous etc as I'm sure everyone is. I was hoping to get some stories/accounts from any of you who have had a hard battle with the pregnancy consultants because of your type 1? I'll be having either a water or home birth due to CPTSD & medical negligence due to 2 hospitals & I was wondering if anyone had had positive experiences when explaining your plans to your consultant? Thanks in advance

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all, this is my first pregnancy & very excited/nervous etc as I'm sure everyone is. I was hoping to get some stories/accounts from any of you who have had a hard battle with the pregnancy consultants because of your type 1? I'll be having either a water or home birth due to CPTSD & medical negligence due to 2 hospitals & I was wondering if anyone had had positive experiences when explaining your plans to your consultant? Thanks in advance
I have had 3 pregnancies and had a midwife with me alongside the diabetes nurse at every visit which helped to negotiate the plans as we go closer to D day!
I haven't had your traumatic experience but did want to be normal and not treated as 'high risk' during my pregnancy but unfortunately we both fall into this category so I think you will need to find a willing midwife team to help you with your wishes.
I wonder if you might also consider a birth in a midwife led unit where it might be less hospital like? I'd also advise getting some help to practise anxiety reducing techniques so that whatever situation you find yourself in you can and will cope for your baby's sake.
Lastly I powered on and felt great until I go diagnosed with pre eclampsia and was admitted. I had worried about the birth of course but at this point my priorities shifted to getting a healthy baby.
I had 3 great outcomes although was sad not to have had the chance for a natural birth.
I hope you enjoy the rest of your pregnancy and get your obstetric team on side by showing how good your control is and being reasonable about what you will do if any problems occur down the line.

mooshk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fataphobia, Ableism, Sexism, Racism, Patriarchy. Most right wing fools.
Thanks for your response and great to hear your experiences . It deffo seems hard to get lots of up to date info on type 1 births isn't it, I'm on the subreddit and things which is deffo helping a bit. In terms of birthing unit, they've told me I don't fit the criteria to have the baby there but I'm deffo going to either push for that or try and save up for a private doula (currently can't afford but I'll find a way). Yeah it's bad but with CPTSD you can't control the anxiety unfortunately, like whenever I'm in hospital my heart beat hits 120+ & I've had to discharge myself the last 4 times because I just can't cope and obviously that will be horrendous for the baby especially at birth. I'd love a water birth so I plan to push that at every point and theh have 1 in their midwife centre so fingers crossed! Was your team good at understanding etc? Thanks again for your response