Hospital Stay

Sparkz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cold weather!
How do people cope with hospital food? I will be having an operation in a few months time which will mean at least a 5 to 7 day stay :(
The lunch and dinner is ok...they are pretty healthy but the breakfasts are not good fro a type 2 diabetic!
Choices are white bread, toasted if you are lucky, sometimes a brown roll served with marmalade, cereals.....cornflakes, rice krispies or porridge( I hate that!), orange juice and a banana...usually almost green!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
You are lucky to be fed I spent almost 40 hours without food whilst in hospital last year all because they didn't get it that some peeps have coeliac disease. If the breakfast isn't to your liking then skip it problem solved. :)

paganlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
nhs. religion for the sake of it.
Ask for a couple of boiled eggs. I'm sure they can do that for u. X

A

Avocado Sevenfold

At a pre-op assessment recently, the nurse told me they had a fridge I could use for my own food. No reheating facilities, but a fridge is good. I just took in Lidl roll sandwiches, berries and nuts. I had a peanut 9 bar for lunch today. Would you manage something like that for breakfast - nutty, seedy bar at about 10g carbs each?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My plans for hospital (assuming that Mr B is mobile enough to act as Gofer) is very simple - bring my own!

Breakfast - coffee substitute with cream, or water
Lunch - tinned fish with a bag of green salad
Dinner - cold sliced meat or cheese, coleslaw, more salad leaves
Snacks - nuts, 70% choc

Nowadays, I'm also confident I could fast if necessary.

I think it is tragic that hospital food is so high carb (i don't believe processed white stodge is a good nutritional choice for anyone), but i don't expect them to cope with my various dietary ideosyncracies either...

S

Shar67

Everytime I've had a stay in hospital other half or son has brought me food as they couldn't do a protien, medium carb lots of veggies diet.