Hot at night and raised Fasting BG

BravoKilo

Hi all,

9 months into a (moderate) low carb diet, about 50 to 70g carbs a day, which has lowered my BG spikes and reduced my HbA1c. But having a few issues as my body throws a wobbly ...

Still having nocturia, waking a couple of times in the night, but now waking up feeling hot and sometimes sweaty. When waking in the middle of the night, despite feeling hot, temperature reads normal at these time, and BG when measured isn't particularly high or low, eg around 6 ish.
This has been going on for a few months (saw GP in February, prostrate problems have been ruled out). This is the opposite of
what happened in the first couple of months of going low carb, when I became very susceptible to the cold, waking up shivering (keto-type flu?) and assumed that the increased need to pee at night was caused by blood sugar levels adapting.

Has anyone else experience anything similar ? Any suggestions? Less carbs, more carbs? (I'm not drinking anything for 2 to 3 hours before going to bed).

Fasting blood glucose is rising, or the dawn phenomenon is getting worse! Now typically in low 7s whereas use to be in the low 6's. I'm not aware of carb creep - still eating same type of food / meals. Exercise has dropped a bit (still walking)

I am a "thin" T2, so never needed to lose significant weight. Have thin / TOFI Type 2's seen their fasting BG drop over time, and if so, how long?

Last NHS HbA1C in Feb came back as 35, and fasting glucose at 5.5mmol/L. Both surprising: Libre readings were showing average glucose of around 6.4 to 6.7 mmol/L which would equate to an HbA1C of over 40, so my HBA1C underestimates my average glucose levels. My fasting glucose reading was low that day, 6.1 mmol/L from Contour Next, so 5.5 would be within error limits, but now difficult to convince my GP that my Fasting BG is high!

Many thanks

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Could be that you are going low during the night and your liver is kicking in with a glucose boost that raises your fasting bg , but a bg of 7 is not that high and I can see why your Gp is not over concerned .

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Could be your symptoms aren't connected to your diabetes?