Hot Chocolate

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Melt very dark chocolate add cream, warm it up and add a little sweetener to taste and maybe a bit of hot water if it’s too thick for your liking.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What dark chocolate is good to use as all of them are very high in sugar and sat fat etc. Thank you kindly in advance

You are probably best looking at the labels on the different brands, if you have specific requirements. There are a huge number of high cocoa dark chocolate brands around now, with every supermarket doing their own brand, and all the big names offering cocoa content from 30% right up to 90%+

Generally speaking, the higher the cocoa content the lower the carbs, since there is less room left for sugar.
Regarding the saturated fat, I see no reason to avoid it, but if you want to do so then again, you would need to look at the various labels and make your choice. The supermarkets list the carb and fat content of all their products in the nutritional info online, so you can easily look there.

Personally, I add double cream to my cocoa/erythritol/hot water, so the presence of saturated fat in the chocolate is insignificant compared with the gorgeous sat fat in the double cream.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've used a combination of Green & Black's cocoa (19g carbs 100g weight) prepared with hot water and with double cream and/or almond milk, and erythritol/stevia or stevia drops, and more recently Menier cocoa (11.1g carbs per 100g ) which is a bit cheaper, seems to leave less dregs in the bottom of my mug, and I think I may just prefer it.

Chocolate bars (Lindt 85%) are reserved for actually eating...:eek:

Robbity

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Or just use plain cocoa in place of melted chocolate. Lidl’s brand is 8.7g carb per 100g and no sugar.

Adm_Mad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I had a very sad moment at the office last week taking all the green matcha chai, dirty chai and Jarrah tins out of my drawer and putting them in my bag to take home and throw out, LOL. Today I bought a couple of tins of something I found by googling called Avalanche Sugar Free Drinking Chocolate, it's sweetened with Stevia and according to the label is 0.3g a serve (12g, about 2 teaspoons). The tin recommends to make up with hot milk but for now I'm just doing water. I'll start exploring the world of low carb milk substitutes later, I have enough to worry about for now, LOL.