Hot feet?

claireclogs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, I'm new to posting but have been reading for a while now.
I just wanted to ask if anyone else gets really hot feet especially at night. I have to try and sleep with my feet out of the covers.
When I googled it, it often came up about being connected with diabetes, however I also have severe spinal damage and fibromyalgia so I'm not sure which condition is affecting my feet or even all of them. So I thought I'd ask here first.
Thanks for reading.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I just wanted to ask if anyone else gets really hot feet especially at night. I have to try and sleep with my feet out of the covers.
When I googled it, it often came up about being connected with diabetes, however I also have severe spinal damage and fibromyalgia so I'm not sure which condition is affecting my feet or even all of them. So I thought I'd ask here first.
Thanks for reading.
I'm sure it's not helpful, but with this kind of thing, due to the additional complicating factors, you really are better off discussing it with your GP and getting a referral. If you have severe spinal damage, then there is no telling what your nerves are doing!

LizzieX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Feeling stressed. Dealing with confrontation. Overwork.
I'm pretty new too, but also have the hot feet thing and needing them to be out of the covers! I used to have to spray them with foot cooling stuff or gel. I have type2 diagnosed 2008, have recently moved to very low carb/ketogenic diet and my first hbA1c result since doing so (yesterday) was down from 6.3 to 6.0. My feet have been somewhat improved, so wondering if this is connected to a bit of improvement in bg control...

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi there - I am a fellow 'hot footer'. I've had my condition since being a teenager over about 35 years ago. I do not believe it is insulin-resistance related,I believe I got nerve damage (yes - neuropathy) somehow through something I ate, or chemicals - internally or externally I will never know. I've had my feet looked at by a diabetes nurse and two podiatrists - one in each of my countries, since becoming a diabetic, because it was only then that I realised my hot feet condition is actually nerve damage/neuropathy. My most recent podiatrist said my nerve damage is not peripheral, but deep in the foot, and therefore not diabetes related, but that elevated blood glucose levels would certainly not make it any better. (The more elevated my BG - the worse is what I now realise is pain! Who knew?!) Also it is worse at night, says my latest podiatrist, due to swelling in the feet irritating the damaged nerves and making the pain worse. (That pretty much explains it!)

This condition has certainly been a curse for me, but I am hugely relieved I now know why I have been sticking my feet outside of the covers, and wrapping my feet in ice packs at night sometimes in order to go to sleep (which provides a lot of relief) for most of my life. I have also gotten relief from walking barefoot in the snow and ice! And I cannot imagine how many bottles of skin cream I have rubbed into my over-dry feet. Body Shop does some great foot cooling sprays and creams for sure. I own at least three pairs of massage sandals at any given time and wear them as often as I can. Deep foot massages are also a blessing - but you really need to have someone who takes orders from you, or knows what they are doing for it to be pain relieving. Those things, by the way, are some of the recommendations for dealing with nerve pain/neuropathy of the feet, when the pain is expressed as heat. (not the walking in snow and ice though! Just in case you get frost bite.) The only way of dealing with it is by your own pain relief methods (such as ice packs), which is what I do, or take medication. Better blood glucose control, and not being so body-heavy provides a certain amount of relief as well (less pressure and irritation to the damaged nerves). And for a good diagnosis and discussion about treatment that is right for you - yes - first the doctor, who will refer you to a podiatrist. (And the podiatrist may refer you back to your doctor for the pain relief medication if that is what you would like to try.) Good luck with this!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Ignorant people,shopping,more shopping
Thanks for reading.
Yes,I have hot feet and have type 2 diabetes.I find that it's not uncomfortable but far from normal.Hope that information helps you!

heather_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
i have type 2 treated with insulin and metformin and fibromyalga (my spelling is lousy) always had hot feet worse now with itching ander the skin that i'm told is the fibomyalgyia. doctor can prescribe help .try a cold hot waterbottle works for me good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
i have type 2 treated with insulin and metformin and fibromyalga (my spelling is lousy) always had hot feet worse now with itching ander the skin that i'm told is the fibomyalgyia. doctor can prescribe help .try a cold hot waterbottle works for me good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fForgot to mention the itching feet,feels deep under the skin.Can be very irritating,not spread all over the foot but like a pin head in size and you have to get at it,grrrr,not fun when your in public,and it will only go away in it's own time!

Splat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for reading.

Splat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all fellow 'hot feet' sufferers.
I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes 30 odd years ago. Then again 12 years ago after a long time in denial.
But back to the main point, after numerous heart attacks and time in hospital. A doctor noticed me walking along a corridor and asked about my 'condition'.
I explained that I was T2 and had been diagnosed with gout. He suggested that it might not be gout but 'Charcot's Foot'.
This is a bone degenerative disease within the bones of the feet. It is extremely painful.
When I spoke to my GP, he said ' no', it is gout, and nothing else.
A few weeks later, I saw a diabetes doctor and asked him. A few tests were ordered and x-rays taken. It was finally confirmed as Charcot's.
Now I am waiting to see an Orthopaedic surgeon, as my right foot is 'really' over heating.
All that I can hope for is that they will finally remove my right foot.
Cheers all, and look after yourselves.

Dump

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone I am a newbie,after reading this thread I thought I would share my foot problems.
I am type 2 diagnosed in 2001,and on Insulin and Metformin.My feet are either hot or they get
very cold and painful.I am finding hard to walk when they are cold,even with a stick for support.
I also have problems when I drive,even with an automatic when they are cold its painful using the brake and gas pedal.
I have thought of having hand controls fitted,but I would have to pay for them myself.does anyone else have these
problems.

jane12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the same problem, hot feet at night. I am T1. I just cool them by putting them out of the duvet for a few minutes or taking my socks off in the daytime (not at work though!). This works for me. My dr , consultant and dn are not concerned.

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I have the "hot feet" felling and have had the felling since 1990 and this was after 30 years without much of any problems and have been taking a drug to reduce the pain

AllanTurnbull

Re the itchy feet, I'm type 2 and years ago my doc told me to try moisturising cream over the affected area. I did and it worked 90% of the time. Sometimes nothing will make it go, but it's worth a try. I steal it from my wife - saves buying my own! ;)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Re the itchy feet, I'm type 2 and years ago my doc told me to try moisturising cream over the affected area. I did and it worked 90% of the time. Sometimes nothing will make it go, but it's worth a try. I steal it from my wife - saves buying my own! ;)
As you said Allan,nothing will make it go away and it's a sharp itch,i tend to get it more at night time and was given moisturiser to put on!

Tweets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for reading.

Hi Clairecolgs,
At last, another fellow sufferer ! I, too, have severe spinal damage and fibromyalgia and have been diagnosed as 'borderline' type 2. Normally I only have the foot problems in the summer when the weather is hot, but now it is starting in the cool weather, too. I barely slept last night (my poor cat is exhausted !) and sticking my feet out of bed just doesn't do it I'm afraid. Last night I had my usual strong painkillers (tramadol and pregablin) plus a temazepan sleeping tablet at 11 p.m. At midnight I took another sleeping tablet and at 2am I took 2 paracetamol. Eventually, I feel asleep. Fortunately, I did not wake up dead. I don't know what it's to do with ... the fibromyalgia, the spine or the diabetes. My sister, who has M.S. also has the same problem. No use mentioning to my GP as she is totally evidence based. If she can't see it or touch it ... then I just have to get on with it. I'd love to know if your GP comes up with anything.
Very best wishes, and keep well !

Ilya83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting. My feet and arms are always cold. When I have a handshake, people are usually like "Ouch! It's sooo cold ! " :cyclops:

sweetisha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for reading.
hiya i totally have the same usually worse when bs is above 8.. the hot itching i had before i knew i was diabetic.. on a lchf diet it went away for a few years now that im in a rut financially an have to eat within my range its come back an is continuous throughout the day worse at night when im not distracted.. foot out the covers is ongoing.. so i totally relate and i dont know if i have fibromyalgia?? or charcots foot but if it dont clear up or get less is worth a trip to the doctor to see if thats a possibility.. but i feel pretty sure its high bs

KerenHermon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Clairecolgs,
At last, another fellow sufferer ! I, too, have severe spinal damage and fibromyalgia and have been diagnosed as 'borderline' type 2. Normally I only have the foot problems in the summer when the weather is hot, but now it is starting in the cool weather, too. I barely slept last night (my poor cat is exhausted !) and sticking my feet out of bed just doesn't do it I'm afraid. Last night I had my usual strong painkillers (tramadol and pregablin) plus a temazepan sleeping tablet at 11 p.m. At midnight I took another sleeping tablet and at 2am I took 2 paracetamol. Eventually, I feel asleep. Fortunately, I did not wake up dead. I don't know what it's to do with ... the fibromyalgia, the spine or the diabetes. My sister, who has M.S. also has the same problem. No use mentioning to my GP as she is totally evidence based. If she can't see it or touch it ... then I just have to get on with it. I'd love to know if your GP comes up with anything.
Very best wishes, and keep well !

I also have the hot and itchy feet problem, soaking them for 5 or 10 minutes in bowl of really cold water gives a lot of relief which lasts for hours. I don't know if it's diabetes related either since I also have other chronic conditions, but since so many of us diabetics have this symptom in common, it seems very likely that it is!

LJRC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
tea, miserable people, swallowing large pills :)
I got the hot feet and numbness thingy before I was diagnosed T2. Doctors have gone from 'It's restless legs' to 'It's diabetic neuropathy'. No good me arguing the point, 'You have Diabetes' seems to be the reason for my problem...a bit like 'You are depressed' therefore whatever you have is down to being depressed...ha! Anyhow, I use Body Shop Peppermint foot cream on my feet. Keep them elevated as often as I can. In the evenings when they swell up, go quite red and hurt, making walking difficult, I pop myself off to bed turn on a fan and blow cold air over them all night, bliss. I have got a single duvet which goes across my double bed, my feet stick out at the 'bottom'. The skin on my feet has permanent red areas now which I cannot bear anyone/thing to touch unless my feet are cool or cold. Is this due to my diabetes? I cannot say for certain. My feet have always had a tendency to get hot and swell at night, particularly in the summer. I had a fall down some stone steps before becoming a Diabetic, my feet turned a beautiful shade of purple black, and walking was impossible, due to pain.
One point I have to make is, 10 minutes talking to your Doctor is not long enough, they have to make snap decisions about your problem. One appointment per problem.