Hot Weather

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

Just wanted a bit of advise on what people do in the hot weather with there blood sugars? Do they rise or drop? Mine seem to drop but i want to try and avoid this as it’s getting hotter where i live now and want to enjoy sitting in the sun!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys,

Just wanted a bit of advise on what people do in the hot weather with there blood sugars? Do they rise or drop? Mine seem to drop but i want to try and avoid this as it’s getting hotter where i live now and want to enjoy sitting in the sun!

Where in the world do you live Emily, and how hot does it usually get there?

From reading over the years, some folks have to adjust their basal and sometimes their bolus rates, but being T2 I'm not a decent source on that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Account

In general I find my BG rises in the summer. However, whether this is due to the weather or not is difficult to tell.
I find when it is cold, I spend more time indoors, watching telly and cooking higher carb meals whereas in the summer I am outdoors, exercising more and eat more (low carb) salads.
So I am not sure whether it is the heat, the exercise or the food which affects my BG in summer.

I have an unproven theory that it is the stress of uncomfortable temperatures (for some this is "too hot" and for others this is "too cold") which causes rises of BG. As with all thing related to diabetes, we are all different, get stressed by different things and our BG is affected differently by different things.

However, when I see a trend of my BG rising or falling, I adjust my basal insulin accordingly and try to bring my BG back to "normality". This basal adjustment is much easer with a pump.

@DCUKMod I have never had to adjust my "bonus" rate but if we got bonuses for managing our diabetes, I am sure there are times when I get less bonus points. :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In general I find my BG rises in the summer. However, whether this is due to the weather or not is difficult to tell.
I find when it is cold, I spend more time indoors, watching telly and cooking higher carb meals whereas in the summer I am outdoors, exercising more and eat more (low carb) salads.
So I am not sure whether it is the heat, the exercise or the food which affects my BG in summer.

I have an unproven theory that it is the stress of uncomfortable temperatures (for some this is "too hot" and for others this is "too cold") which causes rises of BG. As with all thing related to diabetes, we are all different, get stressed by different things and our BG is affected differently by different things.

However, when I see a trend of my BG rising or falling, I adjust my basal insulin accordingly and try to bring my BG back to "normality". This basal adjustment is much easer with a pump.

@DCUKMod I have never had to adjust my "bonus" rate but if we got bonuses for managing our diabetes, I am sure there are times when I get less bonus points. :)
Auto-correct has a lot to answer for. I've corrected it now, thanks.

Reactions: Kim Possible

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I live in Bangkok which is Hot all year Round and have done for 20 odd years and I do NOT find the temperature effects my Levels In fact I have very consistent levels my average is 7 days 91 mg/dl 14 days 94mg/dl 30 days 92mg/dl and 90days 99mg/dl and has been around this for about a yea or so. I find when I spike or go Low it can almost always be traced back to my diet and is my fault when I slipped up in my food choices

D

Deleted member 308541

I live in Bundaberg Australia where we have had temps in the high 30°C low - 40°C's this summer, I have had nothing really happening with my bgl at all due to the heat.

D

Deleted member 308541

I forgot to mention the overnight temps this time year, I have looked at the clock at says it's 26°C ambient temp in my office downstairs,