Hot weather

stuartclose

Has anyone noticed that their blood glucose readings are higher in hot weather.
From January to now my readings have all been under 7.5. Since the hot weather started, with no change in diet, my readings are sometimes 9 up 10. My body has never liked the heat

Pauline

Tinkerbelly

Hi Pauline

I am the opposite to you as I am using insulin. There is nothing like baking hot weather to make blood vessels dilate and insulin to get used up much more quickly. This is especially so for people using twice daily insulin injections and for some using MDI.

I can only recommend that if diabetics find themselves going hypo for no obvious reason, it will be because of the hot weather and they should either eat more carb at their main meals or reduce their insulin.

It is terrible I think that Diabetes UK hasnt yet put a poster type page in Balance magazine every Spring warning people using insulin of the danger of low blood sugars caused by hot weather. The same type of poster could also be given to all diabetic clinics. I had to find out all about hypos and hot weather by going on holiday to Corfu and having a very bad hypo on the beach. I was taken to hospital by some Greek lads in the back of their car. It was only when I came round with a glucose drip in me that a Greek nurse told me to reduce my insulin because of the effects of the hot weather. If I had known about the effects of hot weather from reading Balance or from my diabetes clinic, I would have been better prepared.

Enjoy the weather everyone but watch out for hypos lol

Type 1 - 42 years

stuartclose

Hi Tinkerbelle

I am a Type 2 on Byetta, Gliclazide and Metmorfin. Thanks for your input, my diabetic nurse says she has not experienced anyone getting high readings in hot weather, she ought to get inside my body - or perhaps not!!!

Pauline

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Pauline,

Interesting observation about the effects of temperature. I think that it might be a case of it affecting each of us differently. In March while on holiday in Egypt, and temperatures considerably hotter than we are now getting, I was seeing the lowest BG readings I have had all year - and like most people on holiday I wasn't being overly careful with my diet.

stuartclose

Thanks for yours Dennis.

It is most strange, I am in the middle of my "hot flush age" and this hasn't affected by readings at all.

Have done a few extra tests for the diabetic nurse. Before bed last night 6.5 - up this morning, no breakfast but feeling very warm 9.4 (breakfast w'bix and cup of tea) - before lunch 11.1 and I was very hot.

No problems at all with Byetta now, have just been given another 3 pens to take me up to when I see the Consultant again.

Have a good weekend.

Pauline

Marz Barr

I find that the hotter it gets he lower my sugers go and the more hypos i have espesally at work because its so hot in the factory but im lucky to no when my sugars are low and do some thing about it

deanfeast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Mondays
I find that when the weather is hot, i takes my blood sugars up but after i have injected, my insulin seems to work much faster and sometimes have a mild hypo. 8) Never too bad though.

brianb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All
Im just a type 2 on diet and exercise but Over the last few days i have noticed that my BG is normal, even after i have eaten items that i know send it a up, Normally my fasting levels are about 8 ish but last few days 5.6 :) Thought that maybe i had been cured then read this post so maybe its just the hot weather we are having.

Regards to all
Brian

sixfoot

Im t2 the first time i noticed this was couple of years ago went ot OZ never been anywhere so hot ! was down there 4 a month. First few days was eating as would at home then the heat kicked in and the appetite went way down literally eating no more than a few scraps of salad. But did notice the local Oz Lads ( beefy boys ) were tucking into the full plate full. I have always liked my grub but found i just couldnt. My sugars didnt change much as obviously wasnt taking the food on and defo left the carbs out as didnt need.

stuartclose

Things have changed. My D.Nurse took me off my Gliclazide as I was having too many hypos per week and thats - I realise - is when my tests went sky high. Spoke to her on Friday and am taking Gliclazide again and have dropped down to my normal range of 4s through to mid 6's, even in this very hot weather.

Pauline

Marz Barr

Hi all
Today i got sent home from work because i had a bad hypo because of the heat. I got over the hypo in time but it was the hypo head it left me with
Wendie :roll:

gcbailey

Hi all, I was diagnosed with Type 1 12 months ago. I travelk constantly as part of my job and I am currently touring the Middle East for 3 weeks. Its 42 degrees here and I am finding it easier to control my insluin more than ever. It seems that less is best.no doubt I still have much to learn about the effects of hot weather but I find it much easier.