How about an amnesty?

desidiabulum

Just passing by the forum as I do occasionally and seeing the goodbyes, bans and what not I have an awful sense of déjà vu. It’s impossible at a brief glance to work out what or who is behind it all, but some aspects seem eerily familiar. To stop the endless cycle of well-informed and public-spirited people being banned or leaving the forum, could I suggest a daring solution? How about a temporary amnesty for everyone who has been banned in the past? To be renewed after 30 days if they have kept to the forum rules? And how about moderators experimenting a bit more with temporary bans/cooling-off periods (cooling off for them, just as much as for the posters concerned, to stop things escalating). And for those set on leaving, do consider a temporary holiday rather than a permanent departure.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just passing by the forum as I do occasionally and seeing the goodbyes, bans and what not I have an awful sense of déjà vu. It’s impossible at a brief glance to work out what or who is behind it all, but some aspects seem eerily familiar. To stop the endless cycle of well-informed and public-spirited people being banned or leaving the forum, could I suggest a daring solution? How about a temporary amnesty for everyone who has been banned in the past? To be renewed after 30 days if they have kept to the forum rules? And how about moderators experimenting a bit more with temporary bans/cooling-off periods (cooling off for them, just as much as for the posters concerned, to stop things escalating). And for those set on leaving, do consider a temporary holiday rather than a permanent departure.
I have had temporary bans in the past, so not unheard of, but not sure if that is still applicable.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Posters, in common with the rest of society, seem to be offended by the slightest thing these days. Disagreement is not in itself offensive, although the manner of delivery may be. It would be well to remember the old adage about "sticks and stones" particularly as we are all anonymous anyway.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is an extract from the forum rules as regards mod intervention

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/community-ethos-forum-rules.50278/

14. Where Moderator intervention occurs, Members will receive a notification, including a reason for the intervention.

15. Where necessary a warning may be escalated:
  • A user who receives 3 warnings will receive a temporary 5 day ban.
  • A user who receives 5 warnings will receive a temporary 14 day ban.
  • Users are permanently banned after multiple temporary bans when necessary.
  • Users issued a final warning will be permanently banned after any further warnings.
16. Moderator discretion will be used in cases of particularly bad behaviour.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

14. Where Moderator intervention occurs, Members will receive a notification, including a reason for the intervention.

• Users issued a final warning will be permanently banned after any further warnings.
I think in Point 14 that only certain members directly in the immediate fallout zone get notified, The general forum members or thread participants do not normally get notified. So this action only applies to edited posts only. The rule is clear by context that only interferred with members get to know.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Point 16 is the get out clause. Mods have final jurisdiction with no right to appeal, and there is no mechanism inplace where a Moderator has to explain their actions. To be fair, I think there is a system in place where the Mod has to start a conversation to all the other Mods describing these circumstances, These Rules may need updating to describe current practice.

I note that Point 15 has no time limitation of statute, so it is not clear if the warnings have to be within a thread, or within a certain period, of if a warning I got 2 years ago will be added to my running total today. Even most criminal convictions have a time limit.....

Also not clear if the warnings, say. from one bad post becomes 3 if 2 more Mods also warn on same posting.

If I let rip with a stream of potty mouth language, in one post are they all added culmulatively to hit the buffers? Or is that Rule 16 again?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Posters, in common with the rest of society, seem to be offended by the slightest thing these days. Disagreement is not in itself offensive, although the manner of delivery may be. It would be well to remember the old adage about "sticks and stones" particularly as we are all anonymous anyway.
What offends me is people getting bans without being given a reason. People are too keen to look the other way when someone has been victimised these days.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What offends me is people getting bans without being given a reason. People are too keen to look the other way when someone has been victimised these days.
Rule 16 of the Forum rulebook applies. No more, no less. If a Mod considers it necessary then they can take unilateral action with no right to appeal or redress, it seems. I have suggested that this rule be looked at again to remove any possible bones of contention. I would tag a Mod here, but not sure which one could take this matter up.

Edit maybe as a last resort an external email to [email protected] will work

S

serenity648

I completely refute and oppose the idea about sticks and stones. Words can and do hurt immeasurably and, unlike bruises, never heal or disappear from our minds.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Only my thoughts here.
I agree if someone is aggressive to others, it warrants a ban.
When I post, there are always a mixed answers. So I Don, t agree with and just leave it at that. I give my answers to others but they also might not take that advice.
I have never had to report anyone but would if it was a personal attack on me