How annoying are movie/TV diabetics!

redrevis

oweri02 said:
so this lady is out cold, and they started trying to pour "Coca Cola" (from a 2litre bottle) into her mouth!

I've always been told by trained medical professionals, that if they are unconscious DO NOT give anything by mouth, no liquids, nothing, as you could do more harm than good.

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
However, I thought the portrayal of the kid going hypo in Panic Room was quite well done. May not have been completely accurate (but then it was American so I guess they have a different slant on things), but they got the sweats/shakes/lethargy spot on from what I can remember.

Dislikes
diabetes !
My step mum watched Steel Magnolias many years ago and when I told her I was pregnant (type 1 diabetic) she told me I was going to die!!

My daughter has ketones / very high sugars on a scarily regular basis. She has been given so many different versions of advice by the staff on the 99 calls made its laughable.

In my opinion I think the conclusion to all the posts are :
that UK and USA have different ideas about diabetes,
a little knowledge about diabetes can be a dangerous thing and
remember that the program you are watching is not a documentary, just enjoy it for what it is - entertainment

Scardoc

I'm just surprised one of the major soaps hasn't wheeled out a bunch of diabetics to keep up with the times and raise the issue of non communicable diseases!

What I love about soaps is this, on certain stretches of the roads in the UK there are accident blackspots and they have signs saying stuff like "20 people have died in the next mile in the last year" to warn you. Now, upon entering Albert Square or Weatherfield surely there should be a sign saying "WARNING!! 100 people die here a year mostly through murder, when here you may discover your brother is your mother and your long lost family will suddenly appear!". Also, not only does pretty much everyone in these places have a job, but they all work within a 400mtr radius!! Amazing. David Cameron take note.