How are my sugars?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Some people may remember that Ifell down stairs a couple of weeks ago. My daughter rang the surgery, because she was worried and spoke to the doctor. First question was how is my sugar? The worst injury Idid was to my ankle, which I bashed on the stairgate. [ Ihave small grandchildren]. I thought it was just a superficial scrape until I knocked part of the scab off revealing a wound through the full depth of my skin.I've been keeping it clean with antiseptics and dressings and keeping it dry, but eventually, I had to admit it had got infected. I couldn't get an appointment at the surgery, but did get a call-back from the duty doctor. She asked lots of questions and sent a prescription for Flucloxicillin to my pharmacy electrronically. 2 days on Nearly all the redness has gone, even though it still hurts. What was one of her questions? " How are your sugars?" this from a surgery that only prescibes strips to T2s in exceptional circumstances. I got some after the initial fall.
I had a 5.8 that morning. A bit on the high side for me. Iprefer under 5 fasting.
Still it goes to show.
Hana
Ps Ihave a safety measure to help avoid further fall. I bought one of those stair baskets. It sits on the stairs all day, receiving stuff which will need to be taken up in the evening. In the morning I bring it down with anything needing to come. No more going up with both hands full!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Why sugars?

As well as diabetes (well controlled) a low carb diet is known to affect the immune system to some extent, another reason why I don't do one. (I spend a lot of time sticking splinters of wood in lofts and basements in me, changing bathrooms, toilets, sewage pipes, etc, so up so date on all tetanus, every booster the doctor will give me, including immunoglobulin last time I took a serious lump out).

Good explanation here,

"There can be long term health issues as your body is chronically carbohydrate depleted over extended periods of time. Your liver is exposed to extra stress as it is forced to assist with manufacturing glucose from fats and proteins, potentially toxic amounts of ammonia are produced as proteins are converted into glucose, your body has a more difficult time producing mucus and the immune system becomes impaired as risk of pathogenic infection increases, and your body loses the ability to produce compounds called glycoproteins, which are vital to cellular functions.

http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/201 ... rate-diet/

and
http://www.cs.stedwards.edu/chem/Chemis ... teins.HTML

not saying low carb is wrong, just need to be aware of the actions needed with it, and it's not just all about keeping bs low.