Hi there,
Can someone please tell me...

I tested my Blood Glucose last night before bed and it was 5.5,
I didn't eat anything after testing.
This morning I tested (before eating anything) and it was 7,1
How can this be?

SPARKLES

RussG

FWIW: I measure just before I get into bed and as soon as I wake up. To date, 58% of my morning readings since December have been higher than the previous evening reading.

sparkles

Hi Noblehead,
The article says ''''if you are taking insulin'''' and I am not on insulin. ....So can dawn phenomenon also happen if you are not on insulin?
Rglennon
...Hmmm.. So its not just me then…
Curiouser and curiouser….
Sparkles.

jopar

It is possible..

Our hormone levels fluctuate on a 24 hour cylce, the lowest ebb for hormone activity is on adverage at around 3am in the morning... Then they slowly increase before we get up in the morning, most people this rise doesn't really impact on their blood glucose leves, but others do find that they have impact on their levels.. The only why to find out is to test, at around 3am in the morning, then every hour to track the rise.

But what also could be happening is that the food that you eat the night before could be still be impacting on your blood glucose, this is more likely if you have a protien and high fat meal. quite an high percetage of protein breaks down into glucose adding fat to this can slow it a bit more, durning the day when you are moving around low level exercise general stables this all out, but over night it could rise the bg's...

If it's DP you would get the same effect/data will be the same every day, if it's food related then you would see days differing from others..

sparkles

Thanks for that JOPUR

That’s very interesting. I am menopausal too so hormone activity is probably all over the place.

I wonder what one is doing when tracking the rise every hour? I guess collecting the data to see if it’s the same every day (in which case Dawn phenomenon) or different each day. Have I got it?

Well I’d love to know and to test but {
a) I am worried in case I cant get more test strips and lancets… The Dr was willing to give me them but the nurse who was requested to come in on our consultation kicked up a fuss saying they shouldn’t be prescribed. (I see you have a post on here about that so will arm myself with the info from NICE next time I try to get some.)
b) I’ll hopefully be sound asleep at 3 AM and probably prefer to stay that way. Lol :lol:

Thanks for explaining so well,.
SPARKLES.