How common is nausea/vomiting with Metformin?

Sarah-b

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed type 2 about 18 months ago and as I was only just into the diabetic numbers I declined metformin.

Stupidly I've had my head in the sand, I carried on eating what I wanted intermittently checking my blood sugar with a monitor (which 99% of the time was fine) however I have my diabetic review this week and I've a feeling they are going to want to start meds, I was wondering what the pros and cons are?

I have a huge phobia of vomiting and so would be very reluctant to take anything that would more than likely cause it - I wonder how common it is as a side effect?

S X

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Sarah-b - Hi.:). With quite a lot of medication the side effects list Nausea and Vomitting but it does not mean that everyone will suffer it or at all for that matter. But, if it helps to lower your blood sugars then it's a small price to pay. You could try herbal teas for the symptoms of Nausea such as: Twinings Lemon & Ginger Tea bags.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Although I did experience some side effects they were mild and did,'t include vomiting. I tend to drink mint green tea before bed these days not that has a bearing but I think helps with BG

DizzyChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed type 2 about 18 months ago and as I was only just into the diabetic numbers I declined metformin.

Stupidly I've had my head in the sand, I carried on eating what I wanted intermittently checking my blood sugar with a monitor (which 99% of the time was fine) however I have my diabetic review this week and I've a feeling they are going to want to start meds, I was wondering what the pros and cons are?

I have a huge phobia of vomiting and so would be very reluctant to take anything that would more than likely cause it - I wonder how common it is as a side effect?

S X
I have the same phobia and really freaked out when I read the side effects of metformin - I have been lucky that I only had nausea that only lasted a couple of days.

Reactions: 2 people