Prediabetes How do I intepret the results?

mariapratico

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi my diabetic sister did a check on my sugar levels 2 hours after eating and I got a result of 6.5. Does this make me diabetic or still prediabetic as the doctor told me in October 2013? Thanks Maria

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Doesn't mean anything... So many factors, what you ate, drank, exercise before/after, whether you ate "normally"

mariapratico

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
did eat 'normally' salmon salad and boiled potatoes with fresh fruit salad ...no exercise before or after though....no alcohol...does this help??

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
under 6.6 at 2 hrs is normal range
Here are what doctors currently believe to be non-diabetic readings:
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php
Fasting blood sugarunder 100 mg/dl (5.5 mmol/L)
One hour after meals under 140 mg/dl (7.8 mmol/L)
Two hours after meals under 120 mg/dl (6.6 mmol/L)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds pretty normal to me. If in doubt do some more 2 hour tests with different meals.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

johnco

If you go above 7.8 (Allow 10% error for the meter or illness) you are diabetic! There is no such condition as pre-diabetic.

mariapratico

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you johnco but whilst I can see your logic why did my doctor call me 'prediabetic' and said I was borderline going that way and warned me to loose weight which I have subsequently done.....what does this mean?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

There's a grey area between 'normal' readings and 'diabetic readings.

If your results fall into that grey area, people often refer to you as a pre diabetic.

Not everyone considered pre-d goes on to become diabetic. Things like family history, lifestyle, other health factors and medication can all affect the outcome.

Since you now fall into the grey area, and have a diabetic sister, I would suggest you find out as much as you can about diabetes and low carb eating, and put in place some lifestyle changes now. They could have some real benefits in years to come, either slowing down the development of the disease, or stopping it from developing in the first place.

Good luck!

mariapratico

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Brunneira.. would you start taking readings if you were me? If so what kind of machine do you recommend? Thank you for your help on this.
Maria

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I think I would get myself a glucose monitor, if I were you. The cheapest one I know is the Codefree on Amazon. The test strips are about £8 for 50. Sometime you can find free monitors, but the test strips are often much more expensive.

I think that knowledge is a good thing, and I would much rather KNOW... It came as quite a shock, when I got my monitor, to discover what effect different foods have. Milk sends me quite high. So no more lattes. :( But chocolate doesn't have as bad an effect. :happy: I spike ridiculously high with wheat in any form, except pasta which has a slower peak. Everyone is different. You may find that different foods affect you.

But at least if you have the test results, you can make an informed decision - maybe choosing a different portion size of a problem food, or swapping it for something else.

Let us know how you get on?