How do I lose weight?

Markyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 28 year old male. I inject twice a day (nova mix 30), 26 units in the morning and 24 before bed.

I want to lose some weight, just a little bit, maybe 5kg. However I can't seem to lose any weight. My nurse is useless.

What should I do? Do I need to work out the carb to insulin ratio?

My thoughts are:

1. Work out the ratio
2. reduce the carbs to lose weight
3. Reapply the ratio to my diet.

So if I reduce my carbs and eat less, I just adjust my insulin?

What process or approach have you used?

Any help is appreciated.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A mixed insulin can be good for some,but, would suggest seeing your dsn on mdi. One or two long acting injections, then a quick acting one for meals. Alot more flexible and easier to adjust for meals. As for losing weight less calories, more exercise.

Reactions: 4 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no knowledge whatsoever about insulin so can't advice you there. To reduce carbs can be a sensible path though. I don't think exercise has much impact on weight loss and calorie restriction is a bad idea as it will only make you hungry, better to try LCHF and see where it takes you.

Only remember that on LCHF you may have to reduce your insulin considerably so frequent testing is vital.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @Markyb ,

I have been using mixed insulin for almost a year now. My a1c has dropped from 16.8% to 6.4% in that period so you can make it work with a little perseverance. Having said that, I only normally inject 12u in the morning and around 16 in the evening. Sometimes I take a couple of units of RA for lunch. I have reduced my carb intake (130g ish) and it's my belief that this has stopped the middle age spread from returning and helped keep my BS numbers down.

Reactions: 2 people

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
It's quite simple , less calories more exercise. I found myself surprisingly overweight last weekend (I hadn't weighed myself for while) and I had not allowed for this weight gain in my basal calculations, resulting in some high fasting readings.

1 week later, a reduction in carbs / calories and an increase in exercise (even more cycling) I've already dropped 4 kg's. Only 4 kg more to go and I'm back in the zone.

Reactions: 4 people

asyarlk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I understand how you feel. I'm not over weight -8 stone 8 and 5ft 5 but still worry about my weight, especially as I'm getting older. Also I lost a lot of my muscle tone when I was first diagnosed and now I've gone back to my normal weight but without the muscle! Im relatively low carb but didn't notice any weight loss, pretty much stayed the same. I will be going back to the gym though which will bring back the tone. It's hard for anyone to lose weight but I think it's all down to diet and exercise. Good luck