How do I tell my family?

tealeaves

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thank you viv and everyone for the help and support!

I didn't feel able to say anything to my family today, I need to think about it a bit more.

Guess I'll see how It goes at doc this week...

suzie_girl

Aw tealeaves, just want to give you a big hug. Hope you get the help you need to formulate a daily diet you can deal with and which makes your health a bit better.

Hard with the family, I can't help thinking tho that you have enough problems without worrying about how they will worry about your problems...... I think you just have to tell them, and think about how you look after yourself, you can't take responsibility for others like that. Really what they need to do is no matter if they're shocked or not put on a brave face and say, sorry to hear that, how can I help you. You deserve that support, everyone does. Be bold and I hope they will give that support.

Thermal

Tealeaves,

I really feel for you. I have been T2 for about a year, and like you my readings were just into the diabetic range. Like you, I am overweight. Over the past two or three years I have lost 3 stone, but really need to ditch another two to get to a health weight.

Have you considered something like Slimming World? That's how I lost my weight. And even with the eating issue that you have, I promise you can lose weight on the Slimming World plan without starving yourself. And although eating a lot of fruit / veg / salad will help, you can easily lose weight without that. I'm not trying to minimise the effect of your eating disorder, but I truly believe there are other things you can do to start you on the right track.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tealeaves,
Have you thought that maybe your family have already sensed that something is wrong and you are hiding something from them.....loved ones can often sense things even without prompting.
They may be worried that you are hiding something nasty from them (like the return of the dreaded big C or something) and may not like to broach the subject out of fear too.
Please tell them, I know when I was diagnosed my Mum had been worrying that it was something far more serious as I had lost some weight.
Best wishes
Angie

dianeb10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
sometimes it's easier to wait until you have all the facts and have started to come to terms with the diagnosis yourself. Telling them while you are mentally struggling can cause more panic for you and for them! As my doctor said, if you get to grips with it you'll die with diabetes not because of it..you are young, they've found it early, I was only 30 when I found I had T2, due to a random sugar check and handful of maltesers..I understand how you feel, don't run from it, it's a tricky journey ahead and it starts will all the other stuff about food and control. I was badly needlephobic and needed insulin, and counselling only touched the surface. Have you heard of NLP, neuro linguistic programming? It works. I inject! Look in to it, and good luck