How do you all inject for pizza?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As a kid, I've been told you need to practice more when you find something difficult. So in an hour ar so I'm going to practice bolusing for pizza again. Luckily, I've also been told you can always ask for help or advice when trying something difficult, so here I am.
In the past, I managed staying in range when eating pizza by cheating; I just ate a little pizza for which I bolused, and made a filling salad on the side. Today I decided to try the expert-course and eat just pizza.

In case it's relevant, it's a cheap supermarket pizza with salami and a thin base. I pimped it with onion, garlic, extra cheese, blue cheese, bell-pepper, olives, fresh chilli pepper and arugola. The package says 89,4 grams of carbs per pizza (yikes) and I suppose I'll eat a little over half a pizza.

Of course I'm not looking for advice on how I should bolus for my pizza, but I'd really like to know how other people tackle this thing and possibly learn from it. And I'm very much aware that the easiest and healthiest way is to not eat the pizza and opt for something with less carbs. That's why I usually leave the obvious high-carb parts out of my meals :)

D

Deleted Account

I don't shy away from pizza - like you I practice and learn once every other month.

For me, the only way to eat pizza and inject was to have multiple boluses (or should that be boli? :)) over two to three hours.
It is much easier with a pump - I take 60% insulin 10 minutes before starting and then the remaining 40% over the next 2.5 hours.

Probably worth mentioning that I usually have home made vegetarian thin crust pizza with little or no cheese which makes it relatively low fat (for a pizza) so the duration of the insulin is shorter than most.

Reactions: Antje77

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I don't shy away from pizza - like you I practice and learn once every other month.

For me, the only way to eat pizza and inject was to have multiple boluses (or should that be boli? :)) over two to three hours.
It is much easier with a pump - I take 60% insulin 10 minutes before starting and then the remaining 40% over the next 2.5 hours.

Probably worth mentioning that I usually have home made vegetarian thin crust pizza with little or no cheese which makes it relatively low fat (for a pizza) so the duration of the insulin is shorter than most.
“Bolodes”?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. Easy with MDI as well, if you don't mind injecting. I don't mind :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I don't have pizza
If i did I'd have to take 3 separate 20units of novarapid to combat.
20 before pizza, 20 after then 20 as a correction to a high 2hrs later. And that's if I'm lucky!