How do you cope waiting for test results?

Caterham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just curious to know, and does it get easier over time?

I had my fourth Hb1AC test last week, so could phone the surgery yesterday for the results. Although I thought it would be OK (Good test results over the last 6 months) I got increasingly worried about it as Monday approached, to the extent that I did not sleep well the night before. I obviously need to get over this, as hopefully I have a good few more to go!

Is anyone else similar?

Does the panic subside over time?

This was not helped last night by my post prandial reading last night, after a low carb meal. Pre meal was 5.5, 2 hours later 21.2! I tested again twice straight away, and both were sub 5, but I think my heart stopped in the time it took to re-test! Not sure how the meter could have been so wrong!

Montana

Dislikes
Anyone moody negative or judgemental
The waiting game!

:D hi Caterham how you doing/coping? First of all when you had that high reading you might have touched something sweet with the finger you tested just before or is there a chance that you hadn't cleaned the site. Next waiting for results. It would seem that the system your gp uses might be the reason, having to ring for results. My gp sends me for a blood test and then I make appointment to see my doctor where she checks my feet and reflexes etc and then discuss results. When I've had blood done I just forget all about it. It sounds like when you phone for results and they are worse than you expected you are left on your own to deal with it and the anticipation can cause a big build up of worry. Perhaps you could ask your gp if you could attend the surgery in future for results. However your past Hba1c's have been really good so try not to focus on the negative and just relax knowing you are doing so well. Linzi

Caterham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Montana

Many thanks for the reply. I think it has got a bit easier, but it is my character to worry at a problem until I have a solution or feel that I know all I can know.

The 21+ reading was a total error, as I tested twice straight afterwards and I was sub 5, so that was not an issue. I do seem to have improved my insulin sensetivity with weight loss and excercise, so hopefully I can keep away from other drugs for a while. I still have some weight to lose, so that will help as well. At 150g of carbs a day I also have lots of scope for futher diet changes.

Reading the site a lot of people have bigger challenges at the moment than I do, so I need to live more in the present, whilst maintaing good control.