how do you guys experience a hypo

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had much the same experience & signals as others. I was feeling a little odd, so went to make some food. I noticed my hands were shaking when I was trying to chop an onion. I started feeling a bit wobbly and out of it, and luckily went for my meter to test.. And was under 4, so made a cup of coffee with about 4 teaspoons of sugar. After that, and finishing my meal, I felt fine.

Since then, I've also noticed kitedoc's experience of being washed out but alert.. Which is an odd sensation, and curious if that's the body's way of warning us to find sugar, stat! For me though, it was certainly a learning experience and I think valuable so I can recognise the warning signs.

Pol_Ie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Broccoli
My head would usually start to feel a little cloudy and a little weakness in my legs. If I don't treat it and it gets a hold of me, i'd start eating and not stop until it was gone. If the kitchen was locked i'd eat the door !. But then an hour later my BG would be 23.7 or something ridiculous like that. That was in the early days though...I handle them pretty well now

Bridie9408

Difficulty focusing (as in thinking about one thing rather than looking at something), wobbly on my feet, numb lips, sweaty (sometimes hot sweats and sometimes cold sweats) exaggeration of any physical issues such as runny nose or pain in an old tennis elbow injury and white fingers from Raynauds.
I usually want no food (high BG make me hungry whereas low BG make me resist food unless I give myself a serious talking to.

Unrelated to hypos, I love your hair @Freema
Sweaty, sleepy, feeling sorry for myself just stand there staring into space. Sometimes feel giddy don't want to accept that I going low.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
I get the shakes and a surge of heat in my body but mainly the shakes

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The first symptom as I am going low, is lack of energy and everything seems so hard. At this point I have some (not alot) of fruit. In the early days, before I would know what was happening after the initial drag, I would get the shakes, headache etc, then take my reading and realize "need sugar now!"

M

Member496333

I had a ‘hypo’ not long after being diagnosed when I made a bad food choice that saw my glucose soar to 13+mmol/L and then swing down to 4.4 in just a few hours. 4.4 is a perfectly normal number, of course, but years of elevations, and that wild swing was a hypo to my body.

It’s no embellishment to say that I have never felt worse in my life. Absolutely wretched. My whole body felt empty. I was freezing cold, violently shivering, confused, and I could barely talk. It was as though my lips had been anaesthetised. In a state of panic I ate an energy bar of sorts and my glucose swung back up to 13+ again. My god I felt horrid. I remember thinking I was dying.

That was a long time ago but I will never forget the feeling. I wouldn’t wish it on an enemy :(

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you all , so much diversity in how peoples bodies react towards low blood glucose/hypos.-- but also many of the same symptoms ... I think it is important to share all your experiences

Reactions: JohnEGreen