How do you handle easter?

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As easter is nearly with us I thought it might be useful to parents who have newly diagnosed children to see how other parents handle easter.

We do allow Jess to have chocolate easter eggs. The easter bunny very kindly hides those very teeny chocolate eggs around the garden together with little non-edible gifts. He also buys one normal/smallish size chocolate egg for Jess and a toy. She's Webkinz mad right now so I hear the easter bunny will be bringing a Webkinz pet with him to hide somewhere in the garden. Jess enjoys the easter egg/gift hunt around the garden, we have her put all the eggs into a little jar and she can keep them to have one or two as a pudding for after her meal each day. They usually last about a week. The bigger easter egg we allow her to eat on Easter Sunday for pudding and adjust her insulin to cover for it. As the eggs are hollow there isn't so much chocolate altogether and it's only one day. We'll also do some egg blowing and decorating as a craft activity which is usually fun and involves nothing edible. Granny and Grandpa usually visit on Easter Sunday to join us for a roast dinner and they'll be bringing Jess and her brother a book each which they've asked for, they both love reading.

So how to you handle easter, perhaps you have some ideas that we can use to avoid a chocolate overload but still keep the weekend as something fun to look forward to?

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
We do something very similar, just because its Easter doesn't mean our children need to feel excluded. Andrews school phoned me for the 1st time on Friday (this will be Andrews 5th Easter) asking if an Easter Egg would be suitable because he is diabetic, my reply, you should be more concerned thats its suitable for a gluten free diet, then after much discussion i just said, any egg, so as he's not left out.
Thats the main key in any festivity, don't exclude your child just because there diabetic.
Happy Easter to all and enjoy,
Suzi x