How do you manage high blood sugar during pancreatitis?

Peanut234

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone

I'm struggling with my blood sugars at the moment. It seems the cause is repeated rounds of the pancreatitis, which I manage at home.
I'm doing OK with the day to day management, when not in a pancreatitis phase. I eat lowish carb, exercise, and the basal and bolus doses are keeping blood sugars in check, however during/pre/post pancreatitis phases I just cannot get my blood sugar down. The rapid acting insulin does nothing, and going for a walk at 2am is not an option. Its incredibly frustrating, knowing I have not eaten anything, and I am doing all the things I know how to do, and it still stays high.

Im wondering how everyone else manages their blood sugar during flares?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not a T3C so I'm just sharing thoughts, not experience or knowledge here.

A flare of pancreatitis means inflammation, and inflammation of any type is known to raise BG just like many other illnesses.
Do you use 'sick day rules', where both your basal and bolus are increased during illness?

T1's have often been given guidance on how to increase basal and insulin/carbs ratio during illness, I'd ask your HCP about this.

Peanut234

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all - I've managed to check my ketones for the first time and they are low.
Coinidentally ive just got some blood test results back and my CRP is slightly raised ( happens sometimes for me) , and my ferritin is up - which is odd for me.
I'm waiting for hip surgery, so it could be inflammation making me resistant and feeling rubbish.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou for the Hugs. Much needed:)
Have as many as you need, we have an endless supply!

1716999469273.png