How do you take your Metformin?

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Currently I take my 4 x 500g two in the morning and two in the evening. I notice people mention taking theirs with meals. I was never told to take mine with food. I wonder if I should be? Can someone advise me please. Many thanks :)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the advice of taking metformin with the food is due to a lot of people getting stomack upsets from metformin...

I don´t have any problems taking metformin empty stomack and take my 2 daily 850mg´s like 1 early in the morning and the other late in the afternoon... 30 minutes before eating

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I take 2 x metformin twice a day at breakfast and night. I take them just as i am starting to eat breakfast and evening meal. But that does say on the label x

A

asparagusp

My homeopath was also a GP prior and she advised me to take Metformin half an hour before eating.

I also read recently that taking Gliclazide half an hour before eating increases its efficacy.

eldergarth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
marmite peanut butter
Currently I take my 4 x 500g two in the morning and two in the evening. I notice people mention taking theirs with meals. I was never told to take mine with food. I wonder if I should be? Can someone advise me please. Many thanks :)
I was originally put on 4 metformin 2 morning and 2 evening but found my BG were all over place so I decided to go against my DN's advice and I now take 1 with breakfast 1 with lunch and 1 with evening meal and it suits me fine although my DN wanted me to change this to 2 in evening but I refused so my advice is if you find something that works for you stick to it as you will find most docs still label us all the same

D

Deleted member 308541

It say's to "swallow whole one tablet twice daily" on my Metformin label. I phoned the Doc's back up and asked about it, and they transfered me to the pharmacy at the practice. They said with meals so I tried all the options and settled on just before I eat.

Seems to be working ok so far, but I will ask Doc "Sunny" next time I see him. :D

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was on Metformin I always took them with meals.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If you tolerate it on an empty stomach then whatever works for you is fine. If they are upsetting your digestion then with food is better. Higher carb foods seem to make stomach upset worse.