Type 2 How do you take your Metformin?

rosgrech

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been on 500 x 2 Metformin for about four years with no ill affects whatsoever. However, over the past year my BGL has been creeping back up from a really good level so the surgery doubled my dosage (2000 once daily) and put me on slow release. What a change! BGLs have been all over the place and experiencing terrible frequent diarrhoea. Now I have been brought down to 1000 once daily and my life is settling down a little.

After that little tale I came on here to ask . . . . . . . . my dosage is 1000mg per day and I have high BGLs early in the day, it levels out my midday but is higher than I would like before my evening meal. WHEN would be the best time of day to take this single tablet? What experience have you had? I see the doctor again in two weeks.

Many thanks

Reactions: Freema

rayles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Modern music and the "celebrity " culture
I've been on 500 x 2 Metformin for about four years with no ill affects whatsoever. However, over the past year my BGL has been creeping back up from a really good level so the surgery doubled my dosage (2000 once daily) and put me on slow release. What a change! BGLs have been all over the place and experiencing terrible frequent diarrhoea. Now I have been brought down to 1000 once daily and my life is settling down a little.

After that little tale I came on here to ask . . . . . . . . my dosage is 1000mg per day and I have high BGLs early in the day, it levels out my midday but is higher than I would like before my evening meal. WHEN would be the best time of day to take this single tablet? What experience have you had? I see the doctor again in two weeks.

Many thanks
Hi I'm on the same dose as you and have been for 6 yrs .My diabetes team at my local surgery told me to take the tablets with my evening meal . Haven't noticed any particular difficulties

Reactions: rosgrech

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Many thanks

I also have higher numbers in the mornings than the rest of the day , in the beginning I tried if metformin would help that by taking my metformin very late at night , or very early in the morning, but to me it didn´t do much difference...

then i did experiment by taking nuts just before my sleeep or a cheese stick as some haven´t got as heavy a dawn phenomenon when having eaten something fatty and heavy in proteins just before bed, but that didn´t do any difference either in my case.

must admit what has lovered my morning numbers the most is my heavy excecising/fitness/ resistance training 3 days a week 4 hours , that has really gotten my numbers down like from the higher 6.8 til now mostly in the fives today 5.2 so it pays to get very fit, if one has the energy and time and body to do that..... I have been very overweight just 4.5 month ago, so at the beginning I could only take longer walks every second day, but being focused can really transform even the most elephantlike person like I was , and my artrithis has also deminished.

Back to metformin, the most of metformins effect is an all time background effect, and the effect is optimal after the first 14 days and thereafter... now I do take my metformin tablet in the morning , in my case 2 hours after i wake up ,because I also have to take my levothyroxine and the 2 can interfere with each other a bit... and I take my second metformin tablet at about 17 o´clock like 1 hour before my dinner...
I have no trouble in taking metformin on an empthy stomach , but that is different from one person to the other..

Last edited:
Reactions: rosgrech