Type 2 How does Adrenalin affect our metabolism?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi everyone.
Myself and @Freema are questioning if Adrenalin is affecting our weight loss.
Myself I've been given a better pain killer and out of the blue, I'm losing weight?

I still have a fast heart beat which the cardiologist may have ideas to resolve. I know beta blocks which I take at 2.5mg daily blocks Adrenalin, but I've been taking this for nearly 2yrs without weight loss.

Tramadol has been given recently and has changed my eating habits. Oh and sweating!
So I'm relaxed and in far less pain.
Until lchf I never needed any painkillers, not even for monthlies.
Pre canagliflozin I could walk, run and swim.

Reactions: zand

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
some on heavy pain killers also loose some of their appetite... but guess you wouldhave notised that...

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I believe adrenalin can affect weight loss, that's why I only do gentle exercise nowadays.
I had a fast heart beat too (atrial fibrillation in my case) but that has been fixed now.
So pleased you have seen some weight loss @ickihun you sure deserve to have a breakthrough on that. :)

Reactions: Freema

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
some on heavy pain killers also loose some of their appetite... but guess you wouldhave notised that...
Metformin dampens my appetite to nothing sometimes. Insulin is renouned for increasing appetite. Not for me.
Carbs give me more and more appetite. Well certain carbs. Chocolate doesn't affect my appetite, in fact reduces it.
I could just eat plain dark chocolate only, and not eat meals. Although I've never tried it.
I haven't eaten a huge meal for years. I cannot stand the feeling of fullness. It has put me off big meals pre children. Before the 10yr old I could eat a 3 meal resturant setting. ( not cordon bleu).
I eat very little as I know I cannot burn it off and don't like feeling uncomfortable.
Maybe spacing my insulin out more is more in keeping with the teachings in the book think like a pancreas?
I haven't bought it yet, but will.
My 3 mixed injections are ensuring I have insulin covering me constantly. I might have slow digestion due to the nerve being damaged off the high bgs in the past. Not said by dn but I'm wondering if the 3 inj cover slow undigested food in tummy. Walking isn't enough to get the motions through quicker. Also off and on metformin cannot ensure swift movements.
Maybe insulin covering slow digestion is why I'm losing weight? Low bgs are helping with low digestion too. (Nerve damage).
Does low bgs help with slow digestion? I think Dr bernstein said r-ala supplement did but none of those since december either!
Taking a supplement kick started my body to sort it from nutrition now? Is that possible?
What is most weird is I'm eating no vegtables @NoCrbs4Me and @13lizanne . Sensible protein but carbs in high GI carbs (porridge).
No cheese, no cream and no nuts! Maybe the high fat makes ME fat.
Insulin transforms carbs for me. Vegtables was upsetting my tum. Less protein needed less insulin. Fat slows down digestion, for everyone, including diabetics!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes I believe adrenalin can affect weight loss, that's why I only do gentle exercise nowadays.
I had a fast heart beat too (atrial fibrillation in my case) but that has been fixed now.
So pleased you have seen some weight loss @ickihun you sure deserve to have a breakthrough on that. :)
Do you lose weight now things are running well? Or were you losing anyway?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it's likely you have an intolerance to dairy foods and maybe some nuts too?
I am needing to work on my digestion too (haven't got very far with that yet!) My food goes through me too quickly but I'm still obese. :(
I also can't eat a 3 course meal when out (in fact I just have the main course and often don't finish that.) It amazes me to see how much slim people can pack away at one sitting.
Sorry I don't know enough to comment on your all observations but you seem to be making sense of some things and that has to be good.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you lose weight now things are running well? Or were you losing anyway?

My weight loss has still stalled. I lost a couple of stones and have stuck around there for a couple of years. The heart beat hasn't made a lot of difference to my weight. I can walk for miles now which I couldn't do before but I don't lose weight.

I haven't managed to put into practice all the things my naturopath has suggested yet. I'm part way there, but she told me to make changes slowly and when I felt able to do so. I'm only having 2 meals a day now and eating after 11 am so that I'm doing intermittent fasting. I've also almost cut out cow's dairy produce. If I could see something working I would be more able to get going and stick to it.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Cant one have a lower heart beat and still have High adrenaline ?
Yes if you have a slow heart beat due to a heart condition. But healthy individuals with no heart problems get injected with adrenalin if they experience heart failure in emergency situations. Sometimes directly into the heart muscle.
Naturally, slow/normal heart beat and excessive adrenalin doesn't normally show.
Ironically I thought my endocologist checked my adrenalin levels by capturing 24hr urine 2 yrs ago but I think I'm confusing myself with steriod detection. Or is it the same test?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My weight loss has still stalled. I lost a couple of stones and have stuck around there for a couple of years. The heart beat hasn't made a lot of difference to my weight. I can walk for miles now which I couldn't do before but I don't lose weight.

I haven't managed to put into practice all the things my naturopath has suggested yet. I'm part way there, but she told me to make changes slowly and when I felt able to do so. I'm only having 2 meals a day now and eating after 11 am so that I'm doing intermittent fasting. I've also almost cut out cow's dairy produce. If I could see something working I would be more able to get going and stick to it.
It's a minefield! :(

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I found this...
"Epinephrine, more commonly known as adrenaline, is a hormone secreted by the medulla of the adrenal glands. Strong emotions such as fear or anger cause epinephrine to be released into the bloodstream, which causes an increase in heart rate, muscle strength, blood pressure, and sugar metabolism."

So sugar metabolism definitely becomes affected.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I would have thought if I hadnt become diabetic I would loose weight due to too much adrenalin?
I guess sugars increase due to adrenalin. None diabetics would just counteract with insulin to keep them normal. Or burn off that excessive glucose? I wonder if the brain activates the gland?

I do remember numerous stressful times in childhood. Some shockers!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I know I normally fight with my bgs 90% of the time but og late I've managed low bgs because I've ignored a few stressful situations.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I used to enjoy good red wines but cannot touch alcohol now. It didn't help lose weight but I did have a massive stressful job. Pre childbearing.
I didn't add weight in pregnancies only once awake every 2hrs for their feed etc.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the problem is to many that many years before getting the diagosis of diabetes the insuline resistance has already begun and slowly has been raising till the level where the blood glucose can no longer be counteracted by the insuline anymore, and one is either said to be pre-diabetic or fullblown diabetic...

maybe the ever raised adrenaline also raises the insuline and in that way is a cause of insuline resistance which is by some theories thought to be a result of cronically raised insuline.. = cronical stress = establising cronical raised insuline = creating an cronical insuline resistance...

the problem with adrenaline is that the natural reaction to raised adrenaline in nature would be fight or flight.. and when one does not use the raised adrenaline in the body to react physically it will keep being in the body for far too much time and create an unhealthy state permanently in the body...of physically alarmed frustration level..... so using ones body is a natural reaction and the best way to react to stress... .. but maybe if cronically stressed it creates an evil wheel where using ones body keep raising ones adrenaline level and in that way bites itself in the tail and a solution seems to be out of sight..
I do think however that getting fit maybe in a slower rate, but still going for that goal is the way to go..... more muscle mass more musles to burn of the adrenaline and also creating a slower heart rythm on the longer sight too...

Last edited:
Reactions: ickihun