HOW DOES CINNAMON WORK

shandromeda

Dislikes
grumpy people
I've been reading the threads on cinnamon how does it work does it get into the blood stream ?
also is it an over powering flavour ,which are the nice ways of adding it and how quick do you get results,how much a day do you take,sorry if i ask a lot about things trying to learn all i can,shan x

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Shan,

Most people who have tried it report that it made no difference whatsoever to their BS. If you do try it then what is recommended is the powdered sort, available from all supermarkets. But no more than a teaspoon a day - it can be toxic in higher doses.

Trinkwasser

AFAICR ( I could be wrong) it affects the insulin receptors so may improve insulin resistance. It's one of those things that appears to have little to no effect for most people but a few get the effect.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
There has been some research into the effect of cinnamon on blood sugar but this has been pretty patchy, poorly conducted and often inconclusive, with results published that make a lot of use of words like perhaps and maybe.

Dr Anderson is currently undertaking an unfunded (so impartial) research project commissioned by the US Dept of Agriculture. The project is entitled A STUDY TO DETERMINE THE EFFECTS OF CINNAMON ON BLOOD GLUCOSE. It was started in March 2007 and is due to report its findings in March 2011. Their first preliminary report was issued in 2008 and says:

1a.Objectives (from AD-416)
The primary objective of this study is to determine the effects of a cinnamon product on blood glucose and lipids levels of people with type 2 diabetes.

1b.Approach (from AD-416)
People with type 2 diabetes will be divided into two groups and half will receive placebo and half 500 mg of an aquous extract of cinnamon. Changes in blood glucose levels and related variable will be determined.

3.Progress Report
Research in this Laboratory has shown that extracts from cinnamon and other natural products enhance the activity of insulin and that cinnamon polyphenols may be involved in alteration of body composition. This project is designed to further evaluate the effects of cinnamon on glucose and insulin metabolism of overweight subjects. Human studies approval has been obtained by Tripler Army medical Center and subject selection and preliminary sample collection have been completed. Samples are still being collected and analyzed and no results are currently available. Monitoring of research activities includes biweekly group meetings held in Beltsville to evaluate the progress of the research and phone calls and emails with the cooperating organization.