How does my blood glucose jump during the night

Muir

That's good news, let's hope it will stabilize at least below 10 in the morning but no doubt high morning bg is a ****** to "troubleshoot"!
Why the liver sometimes releases its reserves and sometimes not up probably due to marginal things, but still boils down to one dropping too low during the night I reckon.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Some people may drop low and then rise but it seems as if it may be rarer than people think.(and talk about) In the last few years they've researched it using continuous monitors and haven't actually been able to find it happening. They've found that undetected lows overnight normally result in low not high morning glucose levels.
Here's the abstract of one of the most recent studies.
Do high fasting glucose levels suggest nocturnal hypoglycaemia? The Somogyi effect—more fiction than fact
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... ated=false

The only way to really find out what's happening overnight is to test but personally I didn't really find out what was happening overnight was until I borrowed a continuous monitor. I've now done that three times .
Personally, I think that what I did/ate the day before has a big influence on results next day. (less exercise, higher glycemic carbs, higher fat will for me result in 'dawn phenomenon, more exercise, less carbs/food may result in overnight lows so I need to adjust for those; I use a pump) I've also found that when I go low I rise a couple of mmol/l and then can even fall low a second time; morning levels end up low).

Cupcaake32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dubstep made in chelsea
Woooo 6.5 this morning after reducing my background to 14 happy happy happy and finding out about getting a pump on thursday

Cupcaake32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dubstep made in chelsea
Hba1c is now 65 from 118 6 months ago 8.1% now i am having hypo unawareness and basically a hypo a day so a review in 3 months and then if im still having hypos over to the pump clinic we have reduced my background even more at night but have put my ratio for brekki amd lunch up to 10g to 1.5 units although i have all my meals within 5 hours from 11 am to 5 pm so i dont think thatll help but we will try it fpr a couple of weeks then change it back if it makes it worse

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App