How does one know what type you are

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hpw does everyone know what type of Diabetes they have i was told had diabetes type two ten years ago and nothing since so how does oen tell if altered?

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hpw does everyone know what type of Diabetes they have i was told had diabetes type two ten years ago and nothing since so how does oen tell if altered?
As far as I know your diabetes type can't change but there are a lot of cases of mis-diagnosis. If you have been successfully treated the same way for 10 years then the diagnosis was probably correct.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

Diabetes "type" doesn't change, it is more likely a mis-diagnoses

Edited to make more sense :)

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi Patsy - if you are concerned your diabetes has change a lot, then it's worth having a discussion with your Doctor about it.

As porl suggests, there can sometimes be a misdiagnosis, or a person could have an auto-immune crisis making them T1 along the way. Some folks can also find, as they get a few more miles on life's clock that their insulin production can taper off, but really these are things to talk to your team about.

Reactions: porl69

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
There is always the possibility that over time despite our best efforts the pancreas may become less able to function properly and start to produce less insulin than is needed so you can progress from non insulin dependent T2 diabetes to insulin dependent T2 so though your type has not changed your diabetes may seem different to what you have experienced in the past.

Reactions: PatsyB

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Sounds like you are concerned over your diagnosis?

Has anything changed recently that leads you to worry about this?

What's your latest HbA1c and how is your treatment changing?

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
well now on Insulin so wondered if it had altered but sounds like not thank you for your replies

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
well now on Insulin so wondered if it had altered but sounds like not thank you for your replies
My dad progressed to insulin as a type 2 and I was well on the way until I made my changes

My nurse even told me that diabetes is progressive and you do end up on insulin... I bet a lot of patients are told the same... (not true though in many cases if changes like low carb and/or weight loss works for you)

So, yes type 2 can progress to insulin, no change in type

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
7.2 this morniug and yes maybe if some people do loose weight it can happen, however i am only 8 stone 10 lbs so can not afford to loose weight and at 75 years young i think it not gonna alter any chuckles

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you feel you were not type 2 at diagnosis?
I met a man who was type 2 and latterly has had to take insulin and therefore erroneously believes he's type 1.
There are also people who because they were middle aged perhaps or a little overweight were told that they were type 2 when they have subsequently been found to be type 1.5 or even 1...
Type 2 = plenty of insulin but insufficient to overcome insulin resistance
Type 1/1.5 = insufficient insulin caused by autoimmune response that destroys beta cells at speed or more slowly