How effective is empagliflozin?

MadMat

Currently on a combination of empagliflozin and rybelsus. Also currently wearing a libre 2 free trial.

I forgot to take my empagliflozin yesterday. And as far as I can see from the libre app it made absolutely no difference to my glucose levels through the day, or my fasting level first thing this morning!

Mat

Reactions: MissMuffett

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m on dapagliflozin (Forxiga) which I think is similar? If I forget to take one it doesn’t affect my BG straight away so just missing one day doesn’t change my result. I haven’t missed more than one day though but I’m sure I’d see a rise if I didn’t take it even though I try and keep a check on my carbs.

• Agree
Reactions: lessci

Baldy1100

My understanding is dapagliflozin makes kidneys work harder... I've forgotten mine before on the odd day and don't see an instant rise.
I'm on rybelsus 14mg as well as well at metformin 2g 4 x tabs a day ..

TheSecretCarbAddict

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
While some medicines have quite immediate effect, they also build up in your body over time. The amount of time it takes for medicine to fully clear from your body once stopped depends on its half-life (how many hours for the medicine to clear to half of starting volume). For dapagliflozin, for example, half-life is 12 hours, which means it would take something like 4 days for the medicine to fully clear your body if you completely stop it. This will explain why you might not see a massive impact if you miss a dose.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m on dapagliflozin (Forxiga) which I think is similar? If I forget to take one it doesn’t affect my BG straight away so just missing one day doesn’t change my result. I haven’t missed more than one day though but I’m sure I’d see a rise if I didn’t take it even though I try and keep a check on my carbs.
I did exactly that yesterday :banghead: I have issues with object permanence and if I don't put the new strip in my pill tupperware that sits beside my settee as soon as I've taken the last one it can be hit and miss if I realise it's not there the next day

Reactions: MissMuffett