How is the diabetic life in UK?

Alferjet

Hi, I am a Hongkonger. Due to lots of reasons, I and my parents are planning to immigrate to UK next year while both of my parents are suffering from type 2 diabetes. Therefore we wanna know more details about diabetic treatment in the UK so that we can get ourselves more prepared. :)

So, I wanna know more about the questions below:
1. Will the patients need to go for follow up consultation frequently? In Hong Kong, patients are required to consult GPs and do some checking once a few months. Will there be any difference about the situation between the UK and HK?

2. Will NHS subsidize drugs for diabetes? As NHS doesn't include most of the medicine fees, we are worrying we may not able to afford the cost for getting them regularly from pharmacies.

I know it may be a bit strange for a Hongkonger to ask such questions in this forum, but I hope you won't mind sharing your experience. :)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum.

If you are moving to the UK with the appropriate documentation to show that this is your usual place of residence, you will be able to access the NHS on the same basis as citizens: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/nhs-entitlements-migrant-health-guide

The need for appointments/follow up regarding your diabetes will depend upon how it is managed (diet/medication/insulin) and how well controlled it is. Once you register with a GP practice there will be an assessment of your needs.