How long did it take to get a pump?

hails

Afternoon all,

I know this may be different for everyone. My nurses have been suggesting a pump for a long while now and I decided to take the plunge.

I have a course for the xpert meter next monday and the monday after a pump course. Now I presumed to be on this course meant I had permission/funding? However this isnt the case so although its a bit backwards I have to do the course before all the paper work is done. I dont even know if I will get funding but it looks promising.

From this stage how long did it take everyone to get the pump? I ask as I really want children (have done for some time now but havnt had the levels tight enough) and my nurse said it can take anything up to 4 months. Im getting frustrated with all the waiting around.

Thanks

H x

iHs

I waited about 3 months before I got the phone call from my dsn to say that the funding had been approved and then another month for the pump that I wanted to arrive at my hospital and also for the pump rep to also turn up to show me how to work it. So be patient and use the waiting time to find out a bit more about calculating t he correct insulin to carb ratio for the food that you eat at different times of the day. You will need more like to use a different one for each meal time. It's all worked out though from doing bg tests before you eat and then again 2-3hrs later and adjusting the ratios so that your bg levels fall within the target guidelines for insulin users. Look at BDEC website for a bit more info about ratios and correction factors before you start using the new bg meter that you have just been given.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I waited about 3 months from agreeing that I wanted a pump to it being fitted. It probably varies from country to country (I'm in wales) and then from LHB to LHB. Hope you get it soon. :thumbup:

weeezer

i have my pump appointment next weds, where i will be shown how to use it with saline instead of insulin for a week, then using insulin.

had my first appt to discuss a pump on 4th july, so all in all about 6 weeks. was told on the first appt that planning a pregnancy was reason enough to qualify, and the DSN seemed to decide herself, didn't have to get it approved (however, maybe she just took an educated guess that it would be approved so didn't say anything).

i had a miscarriage in april - but before that happened, and i'd asked for a pump at the ante-natal clinic because the previous pregnancy i had in 09 - it was fraught with awful hypo's early on and it severely affected my hypo awareness (at the time, after 9 years of being diabetic, i'd never needed anyone elses help with a hypo, but in that pregnancy needed help a few times, 1 where i wasn't aware & 1 completely unconscious). so when the ante-natal clinic learned of my miscarriage, they offered me the chance of an appt with DSN pump nurse to discuss (couldn't have one in early pregnancy due to the complexities of learning how to use the pump and how this may have caused erratic levels early on). so maybe this all helped my case? my point is that apart from obviously needing 'good' levels to become pregnant & the early weeks of fetal development, the pregnancy hormones rather affect your response to insulin, insulin needs usually increase, you become more sensitive to it etc, and are more prone to hypo's, so a pump can be extremely useful in these cases.

so dunno why it would take 4 months...just wanted to say you have a very valid reason for wanting a pump in case anyone should challenge.

wish i could go on a pump course! sounds informative...i think i'll get a lengthy appt with pump clinic DSN, not complaining, but always feel i want more info on everything diabetes related. having been left to 'get on with it' for several years, i will take any course there is!!!!

good luck...i will be a permanent fixture on the pump boards i reckon, very nervous about it all! hope to see you on here often!

eloise

lauren_gee_x

Wow you guys are lucky I've been on the waiting list for a pump for nearly 2 years. Here's a few people in my area who have Ben waiting nearly 5 years xx

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
lauren_gee_x said:
Wow you guys are lucky I've been on the waiting list for a pump for nearly 2 years. Here's a few people in my area who have Ben waiting nearly 5 years xx

Then perhaps get hold of INPUT.
I'm not 100% sure on this but was told if a consultant offered you a pump then it had to be provided within 3 mths. I might have even read it in NICE guidelines who knows.
Do check with INPUT though.