How long does body take to adjust to low sugar levels?

deepikaneb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I just wanted to know how long does it take for body to adjust to low sugar levels, my sugar had been always 150-260mg/dl (11mmol) for around 15 years. Now I am taking 4 injections instead of 2. My sugars are normal around 150-200mg/dl, however I feel little dizzy and low on energy all the time since I am not used to it. I have reduced eating fat food since I have chronic pancreatitis.

Thanks
Deepika

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Deepika,
For me It took only 4 to 5 days to come on normal glucose level. After that I started to take low carb food, then my insulin dose started to decrease by 70 %. You should have to be more active in your whole days like walking and doing some physical exercise. Then your body may require less insulin.

Last edited by a moderator:

deepikaneb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks for your response however my question was is it normal to feel low even though sugar readings are between 150-200mg just because my body was used to high sugar levels for 15years?

Karenchq

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't say if it is normal or not, but I can tell you that it is sometimes like that for me too. I will feel quite low and sometime I am and other times I will be 100-120. Now, I know that bs needs to be checked, as you have done, to know if it really is low. I was just diagnosed March 2016 so perhaps there is a connection with adding or modifying insulin.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum