How long does it take for blood sugar to get back under control after cold/flu illness

CoolUserName

Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice please. I appreciate that this is different for each individual, but please can some of you with more experience of T1D tell me how long it takes roughly to wrangle your blood sugars back under control after being ill with a cold/flu. The sore throat started last Thursday and many units of insulin have been given since (sometimes twice as much as usual) to keep my sons BS under 10mmols. It was 16 at one point and corrections appear to have no effect!!

The insulin is definitely all fine - it has all be changed to double check. He is starting to feel a bit better but it is still going up and down like a rollercoaster. Ketones have been checked and are 0.1.

I have been advising him to raise his basal as well (which he has done) and try and eat low carb, filling foods like pulses, meat, avocados etc until he feels better and his BS settles - does that sound reasonable?

Please could anyone give me some advice/kind words on how much longer this could last. do the effects of illness on BS last for just teh durations of teh illness or are there lingering blood sugar rises? Thank you :)

Last edited:

RobertJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just find when the symptoms go away, the disruption to blood sugars goes away in tandem.

Reactions: CoolUserName

CoolUserName

I just find when the symptoms go away, the disruption to blood sugars goes away in tandem.
Thank you for our reply Robert. I'm pleased to say that now he is feeling better his BS has indeed stabilised . I was worried that they might be erratic for weeks after an illness but I wasn't sure.