how long does it take for metformin to start working?

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am now in my third week type2 and my doc in Italy said ( i know you have all read it before :yawn:) you are diabetic you are fat lose weight,,That's IT..

I came on this forum in a panic and the help was great and they all told me about LOW CARB... I have not had any Pasta, Bread, sweets, cakes, Sugar Etc and I FEEL GREAT I am on 2 x 500g Met a day and My Eye sight (went saturday for a test) has gone back to 6 years ago I can see so much better...What it is I do not know... But If it means No/low carbs and feeling this good...I am staying on it...I also walk half hour everyday not to fast but fast enough for me...The trick is to keep the same pace

Yesterday and Today I was working up north and this morning I went into a small village shop and YAHOOOOOOOOOOO She sold Diabetic Plumb Cake!!!! Fantastico and I also found http://www.diabetichampers.co.uk LOVE IT!!!!

Wishing you all the BEST...STICK AT IT....It worked for me and I am sure it will work for you!!!1 :thumbup:
Hola

No pasta for an Italian! Have you had to leave home?

Cheers!

Reactions: 2 people

Jan30012016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please help!
I currently take 3 metformin a say and have readings of approx 9.5 after meals.
I am type 2.
I thought that medication should reduce my high readings? Would my readings be a lot higher if I didn't take metformin?
I was diagnosed June 2015. I'm not over weight but did have gestational diabetes 13 years ago.
Thanks anyone

Barry05

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When i was first diagnosed with type2 early July 2014 my reading was 11.8%. Put straight on metformin at 500mg (1 tablet) per day which was slowly increased to 2000mg (4 tablets )per day.
I also put myself on a crash diet of healthy stuff and ignored any junk food whatsoever
Later that year my reading went down to approximately 6.5 (i cannot recall the exact reading). So that's about 4 or 5 months to get the level down that far even with me living a bit like a stone age vegan at the time.
In answer to your question :- I think it depends on the individual and how determined they are to get the level down.
Looking at what you're saying here, you are at least slowly but surely going in the right direction so stick with it.

Last edited:

Jan30012016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that.
I also don't eat meat and try to follow healthy eating however it seems I eating the wrong things altogether.
Fresh start new year and all that I will cut out the few carbs I have and follow a new plan.

zacthedog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injections,
I started taking Metformin on 31/12/15, one 500mg a day, raised to two 500mg from thursday just gone, i have cut out around 95% of the sugary food and starting to watch thd carbs, my mmol/l has fallen each day of around 1 -2% a day, yesterday to today it fell by 3.5% to 9.9, so what i am saying is;- this is a marathon not a sprint, i want my levels down to where they should be but ot to quick, then the risks oc hypo would far outway any benefits of being in the normal range. Take it slow, change your diet, test regulary and read up on this forum. I want to be stable by 2017, i am then going for reversal of T2, and spend the rest of my life free and healthy, thats my plan, if it works great, if not, well i would have given it my best shot! But whatever happens, i know my life can not be the same as it was before diabetes.
Goodluck, and take it one day at a time, hour by hour we can do it!