Type 2 How long does it take metformin to kick in?

AlaskaRon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not Having Pizza!
I was taking metformin 500mg twice a day and glyburide 5mg twice a day when I was first diagnosed with type 2 about 5 weeks ago. I dropped the glyburide to once a day when I dropped below 8.3 (after about a week).

after a bout 2 weeks my BS dropped from 11.1 to under 5.5 regularly and often under 3.8. My doctor dropped me down to 500mg once a day and completely off of the glyburide.

since I dropped down my dosage my BS has been increasing to now I am back up to 7.7 to 8.3 now. A couple days ago I increased my metformin to 1000mg twice a day and I am not noticing any different in my BS.

How long does it take for metformin to kick in? I have doubled my dosage to 1000mg twice a day and there is no difference in my BS. I am wondering if the metformin/glyburide combination made that much difference? should I get back on glyburide? or does it take time for the metformin to take it's full effect.

Can I get your input on this please.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it can take 2-3 weeks for metformin to reach its full effect.

Did you make any dietary changes that may have helped your blood glucose to show such an excellent reduction?
And is there any chance that you may have reintroduced a few sneaky carbs (also know as Carb Creep) which may have helped it to rise again?

If neither of those apply, then it may well be down to the meds or the med combo.

AlaskaRon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not Having Pizza!
I think it can take 2-3 weeks for metformin to reach its full effect.

Did you make any dietary changes that may have helped your blood glucose to show such an excellent reduction?
And is there any chance that you may have reintroduced a few sneaky carbs (also know as Carb Creep) which may have helped it to rise again?

If neither of those apply, then it may well be down to the meds or the med combo.

I changed everything about what I eat, when I eat, and how much I eat. I have really cut back on carbs and has made a big difference. I have tried to eat the same, but think I may have cut back to much. My BS was dropping so low that I was getting the shakes and feeling week. That's why the doctor dropped my dosages.

I am just surprised that my BS has not changed since I went from 500mg once a day to 1000mg twice a day, but it has only been a couple days now.

Reactions: kokhongw

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very much depends on what has changed in relation to your diet.

T2D is often a case of chronically elevated Insulin AND glucose levels. Medication can help to bring down the glucose levels. But only carbs/protein reduction can help to normalize the demand and need for excessive/elevated insulin.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My BS was dropping so low that I was getting the shakes and feeling week.

It is not unusual to experience that as our body needs time to readjust to lower, normal glucose levels and up-regulate its ability to use fats as fuel. That is where extra dietary fats, MCT oil, virgin coconut oil may be helpful...

AlaskaRon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not Having Pizza!
It is not unusual to experience that as our body needs time to readjust to lower, normal glucose levels and up-regulate its ability to use fats as fuel. That is where extra dietary fats, MCT oil, virgin coconut oil may be helpful...

I know my doctor said that when I got my BS down below 9.4 this would start happening and it did.