How long does it take to develop autonomic neuropathy?

ModyGirl

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Insulin
Have posted about this recently. I haven't been diagnosed but definitely have it with all my symptoms.

Neurologist already said I have small fiber neuropathy from presentation with burning feet.

Autonimic symptoms are much more bothersome and started first and seem to be increasing at an alarming rate. I have POTS symptoms, low blood pressure that comes and goes, adrenaline rushes that come from nowhere, temperature dysregulation, facial flushing, sore and achey limbs that come and go, tremors and twitches that come and go, dizziness and an aversion to heights, feeling very cold and shivering, internal vibrations, brain fog, coat hanger pain, fatigue, blurry vision and now I've started to wake at night with nausea which comes and goes all day with brief moments of stomach pains so I'm assuming probably gastroparesis now too.

Been diagnosed for 6 years. Hba1c at diagnosis was 44. Levels have ranged from 32-56 since then but mainly sit around the 40's.

Neurologist already said diabetes is the number one cause of small fiber neuropathy and that's what it is. I'm waiting on nerve conduction tests for large fiber involvement before he will see me again. I'm at my wits end.

Looking for others with experience of this hellish condition.

Last edited:
  • Hug
Reactions: EllieM and JAT1

Charks

Have posted about this recently. I haven't been diagnosed but definitely have it with all my symptoms.

Neurologist already said I have small fiber neuropathy from presentation with burning feet.

Autonimic symptoms are much more bothersome and started first and seem to be increasing at an alarming rate. I have POTS symptoms, low blood pressure that comes and goes, adrenaline rushes that come from nowhere, temperature dysregulation, facial flushing, sore and achey limbs that come and go, tremors and twitches that come and go, dizziness and an aversion to heights, feeling very cold and shivering, internal vibrations, brain fog, coat hanger pain, fatigue, blurry vision and now I've started to wake at night with nausea which comes and goes all day with brief moments of stomach pains so I'm assuming probably gastroparesis now too.

Been diagnosed for 6 years. Hba1c at diagnosis was 44. Levels have ranged from 32-56 since then but mainly sit around the 40's.

Neurologist already said diabetes is the number one cause of small fiber neuropathy and that's what it is. I'm waiting on nerve conduction tests for large fiber involvement before he will see me again. I'm at my wits end.

Looking for others with experience of this hellish condition.

Charks

Have you had your B12 levels checked. Lots of your symptoms could be caused by B12 deficiency. If you take metformin it can stop your body getting B12 from your food. The NHS recognise this and have issued a warning to GPs.

• Informative
Reactions: EllieM

ModyGirl

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had the basic serum test with the GP and my levels have been in the 300s or 400s. They say it's not a problem. I do agree that a lot sound like B12 deficiency and I'm yet to to come across anyone with the same symptoms as me after being diagnosed for a relatively short period with mainly good control.

Charks

I belong to a B12D forum and one of the frequent B12D symptoms is burning feet. You can have reasonable B12 levels but have a problem utilising it - it's called functional vitamin B12 deficiency.
Here is the NHS guidelines on it

I think it's worth exploring as your symptoms sound quite severe.

• Informative
Reactions: EllieM