How long have you been diagnosed?

How long have you been diagnosed with diabetes?

• 0-3 yrs

Votes: 34 42.0%
  • 4-6 yrs

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • 7-9 yrs

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • 10-15 yrs

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • 16-20 yrs

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • 21-24 yrs

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • 25+ yrs

Votes: 12 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
I was diagnosed with type 2 February 2006. I have only suffered from short term complications apart from blood pressure which I have taken tablets since 2002 but I have reduced these from 3 a day to 2 a day now. I was taking 2 metformin 500 mg tablets has been reduced to 1 tablet a day. I exercise a lot more since my son got a puppy (now 18 months old) and this has made a big difference. Have had insoles made for my shoes to reduce pressure on the underpart of my feet which is good as I want to keep on walking and keeping my blood sugar down.

greyposter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty to animals.Bullies,Soaps.
June 11th this year

sassywriter43

October 29th this year

Type 2

FB 13.7 on diagnosis

HBa1c 24th dec 2012 4.3mmol

Low carb, low fat vegan diet only
M.E sufferer also.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
1st November 1960 at Kings CollegecHospital in London. Was told I would have to have a few injections. Yeah right! Little did I know what the truth was. Still I am still very much alive and kicking some 57,000+ injections later

I was diagnosed Type 1 on my mother's birthday on 30th September 1951. I was just 5 years old.
One had glass syringes that had to be boiled to sterilise them, could not eat grapes or bananas, had test tubes about a foot long with various chemicals in them, etc.
Not too many problems, led a very normal teenage life, busy active, working for the army and driving as soon as able to at 21.
I have a wonderful 36 year old son (not diabetic) who gets married this year (at last!!) a supportive husband and friends. I inject 4 times a day with neutral bovine insulin and twice a day with bovine isophane insulin.
All was fine until I was diagnosed with Coeliac Disease just over 18 months ago and then, ye gods have things gone wrong with balance and regulation.
Will have to go and see my diabetic nurse again very soon as we both had norovirus over the Christmas period and that does nothing for balance and control!!
Happy New Year to all, keep stable and keep on doing blood tests

steveinblackpool

Hi all

Little over weight and a bit of lazer but...
40 years next week being diagnosed... so I suppose its "Happy Birthday to me" lol

Happy new year all

Barty

Diagnosed as having 'Juvenile Diabetes' in 1966 - insulin injections and carbohydrate portion control established and continued from then on - no matter what dietary 'advice' was given or adjustments to type and delivery of insulin over the years. I see that carbohydrate 'portions' are returning to favour - they never stopped with me and I continue well and active to prove the benefit of this form of management. B

Paul520785

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think that 25+ is not proctical as a measure because the range is too big.

My count is 54 years and I have obviously managed things reasonably well or I would not be posting this comment.

I would suggest that to balance the length of the list against the information provided the following year values would be more informative >>
0>3 4>7 8>12 13>16 17>20 21>27 28>35 36>42 43>47 48>51 52>56 57>60 61+++

The best tools a diabetic has are understanding the condition and common sence!

Reactions: 2 people

Borodeb

nearly 48 years. I was 18 months old. My parents done very well considering the equipment and information was not as widespread as now. I also remember glass syringes that had to be sterilised in a pan of boiling water and needles that seemed the thickness of spears :shock:

ecig

I have had some problems over the last few years most recently retinopathy.

Im still active fit and generally healthy. Good Luck everyone.

visit the site

[commercial link removed]

kez75

Hello, i'm Kerry i've had diabetes for 32 years and i'm still not sure i manage it very well, so someone told me to go onto a forum (which i've never done before) and talk to people in the same situation, so here i am. :crazy:

chisel-chops

40+ years. Wow how things have changed for the better over those years!
No complications, not expecting any.
Been on a pump just over a year and it is amazing.