How long should I wait / endure

monkey888

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I just started on Metformin last Monday on 500mg for the first week and just increased to 1000mg. Side effects are just bearable - mainly feeling sick. will these go away or is it a sign of more to come? the feeling is hard describe but it's a mixture of feeling sick and heartburn sort of feeling. Not sure how long I should bear with it before going back to see my diabetic nurse, blood test is scheduled for 7 weeks time now.

Not eaten much over the last week,

Any advice would be welcome

Andrew S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snobs! Angry people who keep getting angry and can't calm down.
It is really important to keep eating as Metformin must be taken with food or just after a meal. Would "little and often" work for your meals?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andrew S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snobs! Angry people who keep getting angry and can't calm down.
It is important to have Metformin with or after food. Have you tried "little and often" for your meals?

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You may have increased the dose too quickly, speak to your GP and ask if you can go back to 500mg for a while. When have you been taking the second tablet? It would probably be too much to take them both at once. I also find that I can't eat wheat and have metformin. Also the less carbs you eat, the better you can tolerate metformin. If you don't have any luck with the suggestions, go back and ask for the SR version which is kinder on the stomach (they prescribe the normal metformin first as it is cheaper, hoping that you will be able to tolerate it).

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi ,I too had this problem with metformin and other types of (diabetic) medication. my GP arranged for me to have a endoscopy ,this showed that the tablets were irritating my stomach lining and on the point of causing a hole or ulcer.

My advice for you would be don't wait for your diabetic nurse appointment go to your GP and ask for a tablet that will help your stomach to heal( example omeprazole 20 mg) and a review of diabetic medication asap. hope you soon feel better. :wave:

Pompeygirl

I have been taking it for 4 months just about and apart from the very odd tummy ache all my side effects have stopped. I had very bad tummy problems for a while sudden need for the loo and also quite a while of feeling quite sick. I take 2 morning and 2 evening. I would say i have been much better for 3 weeks or so. Have my appetite back too. I take them during my meal not after.

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pompeygirl said:
I have been taking it for 4 months just about and apart from the very odd tummy ache all my side effects have stopped. I had very bad tummy problems for a while sudden need for the loo and also quite a while of feeling quite sick. I take 2 morning and 2 evening. I would say i have been much better for 3 weeks or so. Have my appetite back too. I take them during my meal not after.

I'm just starting my second pack of 84 x 500 mg tablets ( @ 2/day) and the only problem I had was last week when, feeling by now a seasoned veteran and totally invulnerable, I took one without food. I always take them right in the middle of a meal, but I was in a hurry and reasoned that I had enough time to pop the pill but not to sort out something to eat.

Bad move on all levels. Pretty pointless too, as I then lost more time for 3 loo stops in very quick succession, than I'd saved cutting out the food.

Although the doc didn't offer me any guidance when he first prescribed them, I've also found that taking one with breakfast and other at teatime works for me, although I had wondered if cutting the tablets in half, and taking these 4 x per day, might have been a useful means of getting more used to them during the initial acclimatisation most people seem to need. I see the SR form has already been mentioned for those who can't get used to the cheaper form we all get given at first, but it's just a thought.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I take Metformin and it took me about 10 years before any digestive upsets got me, so I've just changed to Metformin SR, which has corrrected the problem. I'd say give yoursef at least 2 weeks and possibly 3 to adapt. The side effects can be unpleasant, but i don't think they are dangerous and do keep eating. then if you can't get an appointment ring for a phone consultation and ask for the Met SR. It's kinder.
Hana

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Pompeygirl said:
I have been taking it for 4 months just about and apart from the very odd tummy ache all my side effects have stopped.]

Just over 4 months here too... and the side effects disappeared about two weeks ago, except for an occasional dodgy tummy.
The worst time for me was from about 6 weeks until 12 weeks in.

forty six

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with T2 last week and knew from the beginning that Metformin would not suit me. 4 people in my family are severely allergic to them - my GP knew this and told me that 'I have to prescribe this first as when we are audited we get in trouble if we don't prescribe in the order that NICE tell us to'! So basically my Dr has to prescribe something that she knows is going to make me ill because some pen pusher in Whitehall says she has to. What a waste of time and money. How many prescriptions are wasted in this way each year.

I started taking them on Friday and have been in the toilet ever since. I am not going to wait or endure, I have a busy job and cannot keep running to the loo hoping that after a few weeks it settles down. I told the nurse at my practice yesterday that I am not taking them and this has been passed to my GP, I expect I'll get a lecture.

I have taken my BG readings every morning:
Friday 5.5
Saturday 6.1
Sunday 6.5
Monday 6.7
Tuesday 7.2

Clearly it does not even work (mainly because I cannot digest them properly), so what is the point!
I am not in denial - I know that I have diabetes, because of the history in my family it has been in the wings for years but all I want is the proper support and medication to deal with it. Metformin is cheap and pound signs are all the government see when dealing with diabetics.

Jsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Take them at night before bed the while you're feeling sick you'll be asleep

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had terrible problems at first with met but when I changed to SR the problems went away after a few days
PS Dont try halving the SR /MR Met
CAROL

Nic39

I've just had a week of 1x500 tablet and now on 2 x 500. I take one at breakfast and one at evening meal.I take it almost 3/4 through the meal was advised to always eat before taking them. I hope it settles down quickly for you. I felt a bit sick to start with but this has now past.