How long to reverse?

TedTomato

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi,

At the end of January 2018, my doctor ordered some blood tests: the spot blood sugar test was quite high (8.5 mmol/L) about 45 min after a relatively low carb breakfast. The HbA1c result was at the top of prediabetes too. Blood pressure was quite high too.

She advised that I was becoming insulin resistant, and should go on a low carb diet and increase exercise, and reconvene in a couple of months to see if medication is required.

I have been on a low carb diet since end of Jan, and have lost already a significant amount of weight (8%). Weight loss has slowed down. I am also feeling better, with more energy.

However, morning blood sugar readings, before having breakfast, are still quite high at around 6.5 mmol/L.

How long could the insulin resistance reversal take? Clearly, there is progress made, but I just wonder how long it could take to see blood sugar results dropping.

Thanks,
T.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

At the end of January 2018, my doctor ordered some blood tests: the spot blood sugar test was quite high (8.5 mmol/L) about 45 min after a relatively low carb breakfast. The HbA1c result was at the top of prediabetes too. Blood pressure was quite high too.

She advised that I was becoming insulin resistant, and should go on a low carb diet and increase exercise, and reconvene in a couple of months to see if medication is required.

I have been on a low carb diet since end of Jan, and have lost already a significant amount of weight (8%). Weight loss has slowed down. I am also feeling better, with more energy.

However, morning blood sugar readings, before having breakfast, are still quite high at around 6.5 mmol/L.

How long could the insulin resistance reversal take? Clearly, there is progress made, but I just wonder how long it could take to see blood sugar results dropping.

Thanks,
T.
Are you measuring bloods at any other times? If so what results do you get?
I presume you are aware of dawn phenomenon and how it's usually the last reading to reduce? And even then not always.. I got a 6.2 this morning after 2 years of a ketogenic diet..

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
She advised that I was becoming insulin resistant, and should go on a low carb diet
Top marks to @TedTomato 's doctor and "go to the bottom of the class" to @User13 's nurse.

Morning, fasting readings are usually the last to go down and are the result of "dawn phenomena", when your liver gives you a sugar boost to get you going. @TedTomato , keep up the good work and get another HbA1c done in April to see how you are getting on. Meanwhile keep a food diary, test immediately before meals and two hours later. Aim for an increase (if any) of less than 2mmol/L. Note which foods don't seem to work for you and avoid them.

@User13 , tell us what you eat on your low carb, high fat diet, maybe someone here could help you.

Sally