How Long Undergoing Low Carb Diet For Diabetes

gusbudone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm curious, there's a lot of evidence that low carb diets can reverse type 2 diabetes, but my doctor says low carb diets, especially ketogenic, can cause strokes and heart disease.

My question how long diabetes patients should be on this diet?

I followed a very long fergus thread, but I did not find the latest update from fergus. Has anyone undergone a complete remmission of more than 10 years with a low carb diet? thank you

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb diet has always been considered dangerous by the mainstream medical professionals for the lack of long term safety studies...it is a chicken and egg problem.

So you have a situation where most low carbers would be doing it off the radar. Pretty much against medical advice...and even if they had succeeded in maintaining their remissions, it is officially considered an anecdotal event of no clinical value...so you won't find many who have had more than 10 years remission.

Official data and studies have shown than with the current standard of care, remission rates > 5 years is in the range of 0.01%
http://www.diabetes.org/research-an...ss-to-research/type-2-diabetes-remission.html

One person who stands out in the low carb community is David Mendosa...a long time low carb advocate...
https://www.healthline.com/diabetesmine/saying-goodbye-david-mendosa

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I'm curious, there's a lot of evidence that low carb diets can reverse type 2 diabetes, but my doctor says low carb diets, especially ketogenic, can cause strokes and heart disease.

My question how long diabetes patients should be on this diet?

I followed a very long fergus thread, but I did not find the latest update from fergus. Has anyone undergone a complete remmission of more than 10 years with a low carb diet? thank you

Your doctor is using unsubstantiated fear as a tool to put you off trying keto. A common tactic. He or she seems quite full of it.

How long one should be on it is simply a case of, while it works, you keep doing it. You can make changes if you want in terms of carb content. It may not be something you like... so you may go for a less strict version and do low carb. Personally, I think it's probably better to go low carb then go straight to keto. Give your system a chance to adjust. Also test your bg levels in response.

gusbudone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb diet has always been considered dangerous by the mainstream medical professionals for the lack of long term safety studies...it is a chicken and egg problem.

So you have a situation where most low carbers would be doing it off the radar. Pretty much against medical advice...and even if they had succeeded in maintaining their remissions, it is officially considered an anecdotal event of no clinical value...so you won't find many who have had more than 10 years remission.

Official data and studies have shown than with the current standard of care, remission rates > 5 years is in the range of 0.01%
http://www.diabetes.org/research-an...ss-to-research/type-2-diabetes-remission.html

One person who stands out in the low carb community is David Mendosa...a long time low carb advocate...
https://www.healthline.com/diabetesmine/saying-goodbye-david-mendosa

Yeah David Mendosa is amazing people. so according the standard no one get remission more than 5 year and then after 5 year the symptom will comeback again?

gusbudone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your doctor is using unsubstantiated fear as a tool to put you off trying keto. A common tactic. He or she seems quite full of it.

How long one should be on it is simply a case of, while it works, you keep doing it. You can make changes if you want in terms of carb content. It may not be something you like... so you may go for a less strict version and do low carb. Personally, I think it's probably better to go low carb then go straight to keto. Give your system a chance to adjust. Also test your bg levels in response.
You are right, before i also talk about newcastle diet to my doctor and he also not support it

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
You are right, before i also talk about newcastle diet to my doctor and he also not support it

I think Newcastle diet is pretty extreme and meant for people in situations that require something like that.

Reactions: gusbudone

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so according the standard no one get remission more than 5 year and then after 5 year the symptom will comeback again?

According to the study...very very few....so we are stepping into an area where few has gone before...

The good news is that many on this forum are going down that path...

Reactions: gusbudone

gusbudone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
According to the study...very very few....so we are stepping into an area where few has gone before...

The good news is that many on this forum are going down that path...
And you are one of them right? your HbA1c 5,5 % since 2015 and now you 3 year remission, very amazing, do you still do low carb diet now?

gusbudone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think Newcastle diet is pretty extreme and meant for people in situations that require something like that.
Actually i did it for few day before my doctor stop it, but you are right this diet so hard

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
No long term studies and yet your doctor says high risk of stroke and heart disease. Where is he getting his information from? He seems to be against diet as a means to aid good management of Type 2 Diabetes and I wonder why.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And you are one of them right? your HbA1c 5,5 % since 2015 and now you 3 year remission, very amazing, do you still do low carb diet now?

Just updated my latest HbA1c. The carbs creep over the festivities have raised my HbA1c to 6%...so need to be more mindful of carbs and dinner...

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
I don't think that doctors worry so much about low carb high fat eating per se. They are concerned about how well the average person will commit to this way of eating. It's OK when you first start and its OK when you have got into the habit of eating LCHF as a way of life. It's the bit in the middle when you REALLY miss carbs. The problems come when the amount of carbohydrate consumed starts to creep up. As diabetics we are more highly motivated than any "life style" LCHF dieter, but I believe that the dangers of High Carb High Fat in terms of vascular inflammation are real.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Having tried the Newcastle Diet (I lasted just over two weeks before I decided it wasn't for me) after over a year of low-carbing, I'm firmly back on the low-carb track.

Low-carbing is easy to sustain and my overall health is far better. My doctor was impressed with my far lower Hba1c and three stone weight loss and told me to carry on. The "official" doctor at my practice would have trotted out the same old stuff about heart attacks etc., but I refuse point blank to see him.

The only times I wobble on it is usually when I'm not at home and someone is eating cake. Cake is my weakness. Low-carbing at home is a cinch as my husband (also T2D) is doing it too and I make a lot of cakes using almond flour and Truvia.

Reactions: kokhongw

gusbudone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having tried the Newcastle Diet (I lasted just over two weeks before I decided it wasn't for me) after over a year of low-carbing, I'm firmly back on the low-carb track.

Low-carbing is easy to sustain and my overall health is far better. My doctor was impressed with my far lower Hba1c and three stone weight loss and told me to carry on. The "official" doctor at my practice would have trotted out the same old stuff about heart attacks etc., but I refuse point blank to see him.

The only times I wobble on it is usually when I'm not at home and someone is eating cake. Cake is my weakness. Low-carbing at home is a cinch as my husband (also T2D) is doing it too and I make a lot of cakes using almond flour and Truvia.
Newcastle too hard so i compare it with low carb diet, your story give me some important information, thanks

gusbudone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE=" but I believe that the dangers of High Carb High Fat in terms of vascular inflammation are real.[/QUOTE]
He said like that too.