How long until I’m told if I’m type 1 or 2?

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cauliflower rice can be done quickly and cheaply in a food processor. Plus you can have the grains as big or small as you desire. Also for me it is a fresh purchase with no plastic involved.

Reactions: JMoli and ziggy_w

MancboyChris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Chris, I'm T2 so no personal wisdom to offer you here, however, I have read on here of folks, when newly diagnosed T1 who, once they start on insulin their pancreas sort of splutters back into life for a while, to a greater or lesser extent. It's almost like taking some insulin has given their pancreas a bit of support and a rest, allowing it to function a bit better for a while.

In most cases, for them, the need for insulin increases again over time.

Obviously, I have no way whatsoever if any of that applies to you, but maybe something to ponder, bearing in mind you are still taking your long actin?

Yeah I just take 10 units of lantus now. Got the novorapid on standby, but not needed it.

It's a weird one too as when I left hospital, I was having blood sugars of maybe 5.5 or 6. I'd still take novorapid even though I had a non carb lunch. But it didn't send my sugars down like it should have. I wasn't aware that I was overdosing on insulin, but it didn't have any affect.
They told me they were treating me as T1 as I had symptoms of both. Another thing is i had Ketoacidosis which is rare in T2.

No idea where I am at. It would be great if they said Chris, your pancreas is working fine now. But I know that ain't gonna happen :(

Lucylemonpip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I am glad that things are getting better for you. Just a thought, regarding anxiety etc, take someone with you when you have your appointments. I find that I’m so busy trying to take it all in and ask questions at the same time, that when I get home and am mulling over the consultation and what was said, I realise that I can’t remember half of what was discussed! However, if you take someone with you, aside from you jotting down on paper, answers to your questions, the other person, who is more “detached” than you, will have remembered more. :)

Reactions: JMoli

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey. I have no idea and neither do the nurses what's going on. I am just on the lantus at night time now 10 units. Been off meal insulin for over a week now and numbers in normalish ranges. I'd prefer the tablets as they are meant to help weight loss. The whole month of Jan I didn't lose any weight even though my eating dramatically changed. I think the meal insulin prevented me from losing weight.

I have an appointment in April with a diabetic consultant. Maybe I'll find out what they're doing.

When I left hospital I was taking insulin with meals.
Few weeks later no insulin with meals, just lantus at night.

Numbers stable. They provided me with glucose and ketone monitor and strips. Still on prescription.

Maybe I'll find out why dark chocolate has no effect on my sugars and some other stuff.

Sorry for waffling myself. I'm still up in the air and don't know where I'm going to land.

Hope you're well :)

Thanks, that’s great that you seem to be managing the insulin really well and not needing more for meals. I’m in the opposite situation with weight, just can’t get any on me and had a really bad day feeling so hopeless about it. Really keen to get started with insulin on Tuesday as read it will help with my weight gain (I’ve never been so thin, fairly skinny before this anyway, and it’s really knocked my confidence) diabetes feels like a bad dream I can’t wake up from - sometimes I’m feeling upbeat then back in tears feeling super low. Are you sticking to low carb?

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I am glad that things are getting better for you. Just a thought, regarding anxiety etc, take someone with you when you have your appointments. I find that I’m so busy trying to take it all in and ask questions at the same time, that when I get home and am mulling over the consultation and what was said, I realise that I can’t remember half of what was discussed! However, if you take someone with you, aside from you jotting down on paper, answers to your questions, the other person, who is more “detached” than you, will have remembered more. :)

Thanks, my mum insists on coming along with me which has been amazing. I’m lucky to have the support, she texts to asks my readings every day and gives me hugs on low days, sends cards with positive affirmations and has been brilliant. I have the diabetic nurse at the hospital on Tuesday (to discuss insulin) and a pancreas scan on Thursday, back to hospital for dr next week. It’s all consuming, and have the eye check too. It does settle down I hope