How long...?

DaveThompson

I was diagnosed just over a week ago and have been put on Metformin. This last week I have been on one a day, now I am on two a day and from next Sat I will be on three a day. How long might it be before I start to feel more "with it" I still feel like I am in a constant fog and my eyesight is awful.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How long is a piece of string. Metformin is not a very powerful drug and I recommend looking at your diet as well as taking the pills.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Dave and welcome
Have you made any diet changes yet? You might find that more helpful than relying on metformin to make you feel better.
I see you have already had Daisy's intro but seriously a lot of us have found that diet makes much more difference to how we feel than medication. Give it a go if you haven't already and if you have then you may be experiencing "carb-flu" while you are adjusting to a new way of eating.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have made adjustments both to diet and exercise so am on the road but now you mention it, I am having flu like symptoms and feel pretty rough.

yeh illness unfortunately pushes your BGL's up.... just one of the downsides of managing diabetes. I'm sick at the moment myself and my sugar levels love to stay high when I'm sick regardless what I do. But the best you can do is what others have already mentioned is watch your diet. Also with illness it is important to make sure you are well hydrated as your sugar levels go up if dehydrated as well. I spent the past week off work as was too sick but during that time I made sure I drank a bit and also took gastrolyte regularly to ensure I was well hydrated because I'd have a fever for days.

I hope you feel better soon. :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@DaveThompson yes diet is the key and hope things improve for you soon.

@Mep Gastrolyte is basically sugar and minerals in solution does it not it's self cause higher BG levels.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have made adjustments both to diet and exercise so am on the road but now you mention it, I am having flu like symptoms and feel pretty rough.

Sounds like Carb flu may have a part to play especially if you have made some major diet changes.. give it a couple more weeks and you should start to feel a whole lot better.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@DaveThompson yes diet is the key and hope things improve for you soon.

@Mep Gastrolyte is basically sugar and minerals in solution does it not it's self cause higher BG levels.

I would only have 1 per day... not regularly throughout a day. My doc told me to take it. You're better off being hydrated than not. I wasn't really eating much, but doing a lot of sweating with the fever.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes sometimes it's more about balance and choosing the lesser of two evils .

Reactions: 2 people