How low is low carb?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Using this link: http://manytools.org/handy/bmr-calculator/ my BMR is 1125, with the calorific needs adjusted for activity, between 1500 (on sedentary days) to 1700 on "out and about days", and I guess a bit more on physically very active days.

In my reality, when I track my intake of food and drink, I average just under 2000 most days and on busy, physically challenging days around 2500. After surgery last year I was having to get through around 3000 to just about manage to stop weight loss.

I eat around 50-80 gr carb most days, but can tolerate more and sometimes just happen to eat less. In my world, not all calories are equal and balancing my fats is crucial to me keeping my weight up.

I did recently go though a briefish period where I gained a couple of kilos for no apparent reason (no changes in diet or activity and so on), but that seems to have stopped now. I haven't lost the couple of kilos I gained as I'm still extremely slight and there is no need, but it was quite bizarre.

Never has the phrase we're all different been so true.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Luna. I'm burning 1277 calories a day in exercise on 18g of carbs a day at the moment. Yesterday night my gym resistance training session saw me increase my weights by approximately 1000kg of lifted weight in the course of the session. My BMR burn is 1,884 calories + the 1277 including cardio exercise. I ate around 2000 calories yesterday and that was less than 80 calories in carbs. It had no effect on my physical performance.

By your reckoning this shouldn't have been possible, and yet it works (and not just for me).
@tim2000s . Are you a mathematician or statistician by any chance? I'm still trying to get my calculator started :):):). You had me worried for a moment, read your thread a bit to quickly, read 1000kg and lifted, for a brief moment was in disbelief. On second read realised you're not the Incredible Hulk.:D
:D:D:D:D

luna50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@tim2000s

Hi Tim
You write:
" By your reckoning this shouldn't have been possible, and yet it works (and not just for me)".
But it has nothing to do with your BMR.
I know there is a more complicated equation to calculate the BMR. For example like this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate
It is not needed. 24 x desired bodyweight = BMR kcal/day is ease to calculate.
Because it is near 24 kcal per kilogram of body weight under ordinary conditions in "postabsorptive" state, 8 to 12 hour after the last meal.
The calculated number is only BMR. There shall be added the energy for postprandial thermogenesis (typically 10% of BMR) . Digestion, absorption and storage of fat, require about 2% to 4% of the fat energy. but the conversion of carb's to storage fat requires 24% of the energy content of the carb's.
Thermogenesis also results from other factors as could exposure and coffee intake.
The muscular activity is the most variable item in the energy budget. But generally it is under 1500 kcal/day.
The BMR is a measure for the persons energy need / day.
If the person like to lose weight, then he or she shall intake a lower amount of energy.
But here is the big problem. How shall this BMR energy be divide on the carb's, protein's and fat.

The Experts in the health system say: 55% on carb's, 25% on fat's and 15 % on protein's.
I do not agree with that. The carb's amount is to big. It is OK for people who are in very strenuous physical labour all day long. I use max. 130 g/day carb's. As diabetic, it is a big dilemma.
The consequences of very Low carb's amount are more complicated to be explained on this forum.