How many calories on a low carb diet?

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
shazzie1963 said:
I really want to have a go at a Low Carb diet since I have tried everything else to no avail. I asked my dr the other day and she was ok me giving it a go but was not optomistic because she said you need carbs when you are diabetic which I am aware of but I need to try and know that it is safe to do.

This is my favourite website about LCHF diet because it's visual, it's simple and you can find what you need to eat within about 2 minutes of reading. If you want to learn more about LCHF and your body you can read further down, there's lots of info there.

JMM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not many.
I am desperately trying to lose weight with low carbs and exercise, but it isn't coming off quickly. I read an article in yesterday's Daily Mail about exercise. Roughlky speaking it is ........ Do 30 secs of exercise, (making yourself out of breath) rest for l minute and then repeat three times. This should be carried out 2 or three times a week followed by Green Tea, and stomach and visceral fat is much reduced. I am trying it. Is anyone else?

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I started low carbing in August and was waiting for the weight to drop off me as it has with other people, but no, 3 months after virtually NO carbing I'd still only lost half a stone where everyone else had lost 2 stone! However, everyone assured me that I should just keep going with the low carbing and the weight would start shifting again and lo and behold it did and I began losing about 1-2lb a week steadily and am still losing. I don't do much exercise at all because I have asthma which gets worse on exertion so I was really pleased to see the weight start to come off again.

I've heard of the method of short burst of exercise as you describe, it seems to be popular now rather than long, arduous bouts of exercise, which makes perfect sense to me. Good luck with it and let's know how you're doing. :)

mat1977

googlegoss said:
I know calories have nothing to do with a low carb diet but if you are trying to lose weight should you be cutting calories as well as carbs?

Hello, the amount of calories you need depends on many factors: your age, current body weight, height and level of physical activity. This can be calculated using various equations e.g Harris-Benedict equation. This value can then be adjusted, depending whether you want to lose and gain weight.
As carbs are rich on calories you will definitely cut calories by cutting carbs. By cutting carbs be careful not to eat excessive amount of fat to replace the missing calories as fat are equally damaging to your health.
A diet should always be balanced and consist of all three components: fat, carbs and proteins.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That intense short bursts exercise regime has been shown to improve fitness rapidly from a very low base over 12 weeks or so, but it it will not aid in weight loss very much over the long run as it is using anaerobic energy systems rather than aerobic. For those that are already moderately fit to fit it has no benefit.

To lose weight there really is no substitute for manageing diet to a slight calorie deficit and exercising moderately for an extended period several times aweek i.e. 45-60 minutes if you can manage it.

If you are starting from a very low base go for 20-30 mins to start and build from there.

Paulabetts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
meat selfish people slugs and snails
OK I am T2 diabetic weigh 15.5 stone aged 59 low carbing Joined the gym just over a month ago and weight loss has been zero. attending between 3-5 times a week for min of 90 min session doing mainly cardio but recently included weights been told by the gym staff I am not eating enough to allow weight loss please help I dont eat fried food or meat