1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How many have actually reversed neuropathy?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Caprock94, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Caprock94

Caprock94 · Well-Known Member

I know I have read a few stories here. How many have had it go away completely, or have at least seen significant improvement? What was the key for those that have?

2. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

Had it in my right leg, I used R-ALA (Alpha lipoic acid) to treat it. I don't remember how long it took to go away, but the numbness I experienced had completely vanished at some point.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Crocodile

Crocodile Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have it in my feet. Mostly the toes and ball at the front. I had some pain but never serious enough to require medication. Over about a year it gradually improved by (a) strict control of blood glucose (b) R-ALA but have stopped these now. (c) walking every morning for about 3km (d) TENS machine.

The R-ALA worked pretty well at first but as it improved the incremental changes got smaller. Blood glucose control was by far the most important. TENS helped early when I had a little bit of pain. After a year it hasn't gone away but has got to the point where it is very minor and doesn't really cause me any great distress. If stays where it is, I can live with it.

4. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I think that @Jim Lahey either has reversed it or made a significant improvement towards it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Expert

Unfortunately I had it when diagnosed and even though my blood sugars have been on average in the normal range for some while I still have it now.

6. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had tingling in the toes of my right foot, so not very serious. It has now gone without any treatment apart from keeping my BG below diabetic levels - but it took 2 years.

7. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I had it, mildly I guess. But advanced enough to have me worried enough to search out for a solution to my Prediabetes predicament.

LCHF has reversed the symptoms. Just some residual fungal infection of the toenails to deal with now.

8. Silverback-381

Silverback-381 · Member

I am going to wade in but please note that I am new to the forum and to diabetes (at least the formal diagnosis of it.
    I have experienced the early stages of peripheral neuropathy for about three years and it was becoming progressive. The numbness and nerve sensitivity was quite annoying.
    On May 1st of this year I was "diagnosed" and put on Janumet XR. At the same time, I began a stringent fasting regimen that also eliminated processed sugars and carbs. By the middle of May the improvement was marked and now it is completely gone. Sadly, I do not know what specifically caused the improvement.

9. Caprock94

Caprock94 · Well-Known Member

Wow, that's good news! And it was quick!

10. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Yes, the results and improvements can be amazingly quick.

11. Silverback-381

Silverback-381 · Member

At such an advanced age, my body can only do so much to annoy me. :arghh: I neglected to mention that I also work out (weights and cycling every morning) so it probably has no clue what to do with the newfound motion! LOL

12. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’d lost most of the feeling in about half my right foot and my left toes. Within six months of normal blood sugars I got some feeling back and now have most of it back to normal.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook