How many Lancets?

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I change them every day, after last test in the evening - I try not to make more than 3 pricks with the same lancet.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Honestly BB why wait till it hurts. We have more than enough hurts just having diabetes do we not .

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
....maybe I'm a masochist;) .....
:) Alan, I'm a bit absent minded and the lancet starting to hurt is the reminder that I haven't changed it for a while :bag:

Reactions: 2 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
On the subject of lancets and pain-check this video out!:woot: lol

Reactions: 6 people

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do the same, just cant be bothered to keep changing the lancets, and it really doesn't hurt that much anyway. Mind you, I do alternate site tests most of the time and I hardly feel anything anyway.

Reactions: 2 people

Tigger2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Curry
Im a Yorkshireman born in Scotland so once a year i change mine. lol sorry No I change as many said when I scream lol Im the only one in the house who has it so no chance of infection from another person.

But must admit my left hand gives blood the right hand is empty lol. Can you use it on forarms etc or do you need some sort of adapter?

Cheers

Tigger

Nicholas Hoare

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Get a hedgehog and pat him on the back before testing;)

Seriously, I change mine every three days or so.

Reactions: 5 people

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But must admit my left hand gives blood the right hand is empty lol. Can you use it on forarms etc or do you need some sort of adapter?

Tigger

I use the freestyle lancet device which comes with an adaptor for forearms, works fine on my left arm, right arm is permanently running empty!

Last edited by a moderator:

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
I was speaking to a pal I hadn't seen in a few years, and it turns out he has been T1 for 2 years. I asked him how often he changed his lancets, to which he replied, "Change them?, I didn't know you could change them" lol, so he has been 2 years without a change. Pin must look like a masonary nail!

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I only change if lancet is too blunt to puncture my skin, or if I drop finger pricker and lancet tip might have touched something I wouldn't want pushed into my skin. So, about once ebvery 6 months, with 2 meters in use at any one time, 1 at home, 1 for out & about. I'd rather the NHS didn't waste money on paying for lancets and bins for me, nor the cost of disposing of clinical waste safely. Using only about 4 lancet a year, plus a few pen needles, means it takes me years to fill a sharps bin!

A

AnnieC

Has anyone here ever had an infection from not changing the lancet very often...seems most use them a few times before changing

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I've got an infection on my finger now...It's my little finger that I've never used for a sample!:wideyed:

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It appears I don't change my lancets quite as often as I though, I started putting the used strips in the pouch when I last changed. Changed again today and there were 29 strips in the pouch. Oops.